• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

fermenting Adding Mango To A Thai Chili Ferment

I want to add mango to my Thai chili sauce as an experiment as others here have mentioned and used fruits and mangos being cheap and plentiful here, it seems like a natural choice for a test batch.  

My goal is to add some sweetness without adding sugar via ripe mangos.  I've picked up a kilo of chilies and a couple mangos today (about $3) and am now here doing my research.   :)

It seems from previous postings that adding the fruit to the ferment will leave the fruit's flavor profile, but none of the sweetness.  That sounds interesting and makes sense.  Maybe I will split these into two test batches and see how the fermented mango/chili compares to adding fresh at the end.

Which leads me to my first question.  
What procedures are needed when adding fresh fruit at the end of the fermentation?  
Being unfermented would this raise the pH?
Is there anything I need to change in my usual BWB methods?  
I don't cook my Thai chili sauces due to separation of the chili oils during simmering.  

Are there any additional spices or additives that people use with a fruit/chili sauce?  There is no wrong answer as far as I'm concerned at this point as this is a test and I'll be considering all options.   :)

For my original Thai chili sauce, I use garlic and shallots in the ferment and smoke them all as well.  I'm wondering if those should not be used when fruit is added?  It seems from an academic standpoint to possibly be a poor choice when trying to sweeten things, but like I said, I'm open to opinions and recipes!    

TIA!

Got it.  
Let me take this one step further with you dragonsfire.  I always use vinegar after the 30 days fermentation for taste, diluting heat, and also it stops the fermentation.  Will that allow me to use pasteurized mango?  Basically I am trying to avoid simmering or boiling the sauce itself.

The reason I don't want to heat this thai chili sauce beyond BWB, is I get results like this when I have.  It ain't purty!
image41.jpg

IMG33381.jpg

Cool, I use pineapple vinegar in the same proportions.  I live in Thailand so I try to use local products plus brands like Bragg cost around $15 a bottle here.
So, if I understand you correctly, pasteurizing the fresh mango, then adding it to the fermented chili sauce, then adding 25% vinegar by volume will guarantee no fermentation.  

Excellent.  I dislike the heating processes as colors suffer as well once simmered or boiled.  

Yeah TIT, this is Thailand.  ;) The demand for Braggs and many other western made food items is low plus the cost of getting things here with outrageous import duties on some items make many western products stupid expensive, rare, or nonexistent.  Gallon sizes of Braggs is probably one of those nonexistent ones as I've never seen it here.  Like many people Thais will buy what's familiar or what's cheap.  The pineapple vinegar I get is about $2 per 500mls so it's a higher quality, more expensive vinegar of the local varieties.

LOL too late!  
I actually measured the one of the right to be 2 inches clearance, but due to bottle sizes vs volume of mash, I had a little less than that with the bottle on the left.  If you look closely you can see an oz. or 2 of overflowed water in the tray.  The rule of thumb of keeping a 2 inch clearance is a good one. :)
dragonsfire said:
Looking good, make sure theirs room at the top so it does not overflow.

Back