• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

soil Adding Mycorrhiza to soil...is it worth it?

They make the Myko for potting mixes.

On another note:

Let me explaine by what he meant when he said "that soil already contains it ". What he is saying it that soils have them in it they are just not very active, once you feed them they become more active, increasing the growth rate of your crop ultimately.

If you topdress an area with good compost after a while the area will be fertile, and the soil composition and texure should be light and loose, like it was tilled, by nature. :cool:

Beware of all the snake oil being sold.

"In reality it appears there are 2 to 5 labs and multiple middlemen wearing lab coats in this world getting extremely rich off everyone’s ignorance over the microbial craze. Wanna spot a phony? If they say they have a product with bennies, microherd or beneficial microorganisms or soluble mycorrhizae, chances are 99% they are full of it.
If they cannot describe the function of the microbes they are selling or cannot explain how nutrients are cycled, even rudimentarily, walk away (or run).

http://forum.grasscity.com/organic-growing/976433-mycorrhizal-fungi%3B-myths-truths.html

When I used to grow organic in containers I used MycoMadness by Humbolt nutrients, it was 26bucks and went a long long way as I only appliedvery little to keep collinies going. I Would not consider an inoculant snake oil because it is NEEDED in an ORGANIC program as organics need to be broken down. I would consider it almost usless in a synthetic fertilizer program as I stated before. I must note ever sence I switched from organic to synthetic my yield has increased and my container size has decreased. Never needed so much trellising!!!! Going to have a huge chilli harvest this year!!!

edit:

"In reality it appears there are 2 to 5 labs and multiple middlemen wearing lab coats in this world getting extremely rich off everyone’s ignorance over the microbial craze"

. "ignorance over the microbial craze" To me that is funny because they are NEEDED life to be used with organics. I think some my just not understand growing at all, .......they increase the nutrient uptake in organic programs.

Interesting info, my question is how liquid nutrients like Botanicare Pro-grow, liquid karma (NPK) affects the mychorizae in Promix BX? When i planted my seedlings from the 72 plug tray to the 3.5 inch pots. I used promix bx only. I watered my plants using botanicaire nutes. My roots seemed pretty good, white, and hairy. I wonder if those nutes hindered the mychorizae in promix?

Now that they are outside, i put promix bx, compost, tomato-tone granular ferts mixed. I feed now with worm casting tea and fish fertilizer (Drammatic-K which is 2-5-1) fert. Is that killing the mychorrizae too?

You ask if it is killing the soil life? Well I see it says on the sunshine#4 mix to not use high P fertilizers as it could hurt the mycho.

The whole point of buying concentrated inoculants is one simple reason. The "life" in a mixed organic soil my be inconsistent, then when the soil is diveded into the small containers the life may not be fully ready or mixed, even if the soil is let to sit...This way the grower can directly apply the inoculants to the medium making organic delivery almost as quik as synthetic.

Chemical ferts will not "kill" mycorrhizae..Excessive P will slow down its function, but not kill it.

"Chemical fertilizers like Miracle Gro might seem good at first, but organic growers have learned that after time, these fertilizers can ruin the soil structure, kill microorganisms, and produce unnatural chemical levels in the soil."

Key word here "kill" I have been growing too long.....

Back