• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Adolescents or the terrible teens?

Hi all, as some of you may have seen from my introduction post this is my first year growing peppers from seeds after finding them the most interesting things in my garden last year. After following the exploits of Khang Starr and Peter S on YouTube, what started as mild fascination is growing to another level. Now I have trawled the forum and read the FAQ so, these points may have already been covered multiple times, I apologize in advance.
I have some questions about my young adolescents. As a back story I have been germinating using paper towel, aerogarden and double cup in potting soil methods just to trial. After germinating I have transplanted so everything is in double cup, feeding a weak nute solution when the roots come through the bottom and grow them under a T5 aquarium light with grow bulbs. I have around 50 successful adolescent plants (4 true sets of leaves plus) from around 35 different varieties,(more to follow thanks to 96strat!) and they get transferred to a 4x4 grow tent with a 300W Viparspectra LED grow light.
Now everything has been going very well, maybe too well. In this stage I still have 6 weeks or so before I start hardening off before planting outside and this is all really new to me.
What warning signs should I be looking for that my plants may be stressed. There's so much info, how do I know if my light is too close or too far away, too much or too little nutes, over watering, too much or little light time?

Again, excuse the barrage of questions. I would rather know what to look for than ask when it's too late. Maybe I'm just over thinking it.

P.S. does the site always hyperlink certain words in a post?

As long as you are providing proper light, humitity, nutrition, temperature and watering habits your plants should stay stress free. A prolonged overabundance or lack of any of these will become evident shortly after. The key thing to remember is not to overreact and or attempt to head off multiple ailments from like symptoms all at the same time. Determine the cause and address that issue only, allowing time for remedy to run its course. Post pics and ask questions if in doubt and be patient. We have all been there and done that.

Foliage is generally a 1st indicator of an impending issue. Just be watchful for changes.

I just spread a slow release 48-0-0 on my new seedlings and hold overs.  They won't need additional N until fall.    New job has me tossing out over a ton of various fert's daily from transfer spillage.  None of it is honestly "organic" but sure does work when put on the fields for commercial uses.  Don't over think the fert's!  Water is much more important!

Back