• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Advice for a newbie

This coming season will be my first for growing super hots from seed. My plan is to start these indoors and transplant them outside in the spring. I'm wondering how a simple indoor set up might be put together. If anyone could lend me some advice or give me a link to some good info it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!:hell:

First thind is to find a good soilless seed starting/ growing mix, pro-mix bx(or pgx) is a good choice. For germination you need a warm humid environment, the simplest setup is to germinate in a damp paper towel inside a baggie on a warm surface(paper towel technique) After germination you want to place plant in pots or cells very close to floro lights and preferably bottom water
Here are some good newbie guides http://thechileman.org/guide_home.php

I was in the same boat last year having and started about 140 or so plants indoors and eventually moved them outside. Since I was behind by a few months I used MH lights to get them growing fast and kept a few under HPS lights inside the closet. I did a LOT of research, but the best source of info for inside growing came from MAXIMUM YIELD I picked up a magazine while looking for frets and found a TON of good how to tips and by using their online archive that went back several years. If you do a search for my name you will find quit a few references to their articles and tips. You will find a lot of conflicting info and arguments that say this is better than that, but just focus on what's best for you and your needs and you will be fine.

Thats great! Thanks guys. I will definetely check those sites out aswell as the archives on this site too.

Maximum yield is a great magazine but is quite advanced and caters mostly to pot growers. Not really what I'd recommend for a newbie but still well worth reading, and its free

POTAWIE said:
First thind is to find a good soilless seed starting/ growing mix, pro-mix bx(or pgx) is a good choice. For germination you need a warm humid environment, the simplest setup is to germinate in a damp paper towel inside a baggie on a warm surface(paper towel technique) After germination you want to place plant in pots or cells very close to floro lights and preferably bottom water
Here are some good newbie guides http://thechileman.org/guide_home.php

Thanks for that link Potawie. That is eggzactly what I needed. To bad we dont have a rep button here, I would rep you for that one.

POTAWIE said:
Maximum yield is a great magazine but is quite advanced and caters mostly to pot growers. Not really what I'd recommend for a newbie but still well worth reading, and its free

I will agree with maximum yield being advanced, but caters to pot growers? Where did you get that from? I just downloaded the USA 2010 Jan mag and it had nothing in it about growing pot and I have yet to read a single sentence about pot although I've read every magazine for 2009 and almost every article online. This months magazine had an article about pesticides and the dangers, an article about how a zoo grows all it's lettuce for the animals, one on starting seeds early, info on xmas plants, and other misc facts and tips. Nothing referring to pot can be found in the magazine or on the site at all. Maximum has nothing to do with pot and if you think it does please send me a link proving it as you clearly must be confused with some other source or website.

I don't know about the American version but I guess you're mostly right. The Canadian version is not obviously about pot but most of the adds are for hydroponic equipment or bloom nutrients which are fairly specific and/or only cost effective with pot. I read all kinds of greenhouse and growing magazines and never see any of the crazy flashy adds for bloom this, and sea of green that,air scrubbers etc. People start to think they need all this crazy overpriced supplements and stuff for simple vegetables

I don't much about the ads as I don't read them and you don't see them online. I guess the ads may be directed toward a certain market, but it is a hydro magazine and every ad is directed to inside growing regardless of what you use it for so I don't see any harm in it. Plus if that what it takes to keep them online and writing about fruit and veggies so be it.

POTAWIE said:
People start to think they need all this crazy overpriced supplements and stuff for simple vegetables

Potawie,

I agree 1000 percent. In some forums, I read where one needs a specific potting mix with X of this, Y of that, Z of another magic substance, A of something else, B of another resource. Worse, if you don't use these things, you are doomed to failure. People think the only good tomato plant is a bushy one, full of leaves with a short stem. A buddy of mine likes leggy plants - he buries the entire stem in the ground and ends up with fantastic roots.

It has to be daunting to someone new who tries to decide what to do. :crazy:

But, in the interest of full disclosure, I'm into maximizing growth and production while minimizing costs, as well as starting lots of the same type seeds at the same time. I have a lot more success and spend less putting potting mix in a container, adding 100 seeds, letting them germinate then transplanting them into containers than trying to add a seed to each cell in a 72-cell tray. I can bury the stems to the bottom leaves, giving me a much better root ball. This works for me but you may have just as good or better results doing the opposite.

Mike

It seems to me that one could spend more time and money to grow the same pepper as one who uses a more cost efficient method. I think I will keep things simple to start and possibly try to fine tune the process as I go.

This has been a very interesting thread. Thanks for everyone's input!

MikeyV said:
It seems to me that one could spend more time and money to grow the same pepper as one who uses a more cost efficient method.

I agree. I spent at least 20 hours reading and doing research at various sites, before buying my first seed. It's amazing how many guys will grow plants spend money on bulbs and not know what par light is or how to calculate how many lumens they are getting or need for that matter. it does however make for a good laugh though ;)

NoVa Hothead said:
Nah, I haven't touched that stuff in years. If they'd legalize it, I might reconsider, as having kids increases the need for something to calm me down. :)

I have an 8 year and a 2 year old. I understand. However, having a 2 year old who has no fear at all makes me need to keep a clear mind.:lol: I swear if it can't hurt her, she doesn't want to do it.

jacob

Back