food Advice for Specific Varieties

Ciao all-

The season is rapidly winding down, but Duane still has quite a number of different peppers on his plants. There are some particular varieties of his that are quite popular and in demand, but I'm at a bit of a loss for what to make with them: Purira, Pimienta de Neyde, Siling Labuyo, Piri Piri, Espelette, and Chimayo in particular. If he were to dry and grind these for powders, what types of dishes would he use them for? Are some of them better to use fresh than others? Are some of them good as spicy pickles to be used as a condiment? I guess I'm asking what makes these PARTICULAR varieties unique when it comes to food preparation. If we lump them in with all the other powders like the cayennes and lemon drop/hot paper lantern types, would we really be making the best use of them? People have been growing and saving these varieties for many years. I just want to give them the respect they deserve in my kitchen.

I know I can count on the experts here for some good advice. Thanks!

Julianna

Puriras make excellent smoked powder as their smoky flavor compliments it. Pimenta de Neyde are delicious fresh! they get a beautiful violet color when dried, so that might be an attractive alternative. Piment d'Espelettes are famous for being dried (whole or powdered), so that might be a good option. I also think I saw a member here who pickled them.

Ciao Omri-

Oh thanks so much for your suggestions! I will pass them on to Duane. Sorry for taking so long to respond. Life's been getting in the way. I'm sure you know how it is. Late fall's upon us now and the garden's just about finished being put to bed. I'll be online more now.

Cheers,
Julianna

Back