• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Advice in Okinawa

Looking for some advice specific to Okinawa....

While there hasn't been much of a difference in daytime and nighttime temps, it's starting to dip into the 60s.... Through some research, the average low temps during the coldest part of winter here is just above 55 and that is almost 3 months away.... I know it's not as extreme as it is for most of you on here, but I've already noticed a decrease in plant growth and some of plants around town are starting to lose leave and change color.... How much should I be worried about that? What "overwintering" steps should I be looking at and about when should I start?

Googling didn't bring up anything specific and there were alot of things on growing stuff from Okinawa and how to overwinter them in cooler climates.... Really wanting these plants to survive and be in the best possible shape for next spring as I'm giving them away to friends when I move....

No kind of extra maintanence is required? It'll only slow pod growth and ripening? Pollen is no good below 65, right?

The averages I found were going back about 100 years.... Compared to last year, it was pretty close but there are those days when it goes well below the average low and well above the average high, going from 80s down to 40s randomly in jan and feb....

That's good that these will make it through without extra work....

Are they in the ground or pots? If pots, remember to water them as it's easy to forget when they need so little maintenance otherwise and the period between waterings is much longer.

I have had peppers in ground and pots most will make it ok so long as there is no night temps in the low 30's frost is your killer, I too have had pods on my plants that ripened when temp were a stable
40F at the lowest, So with out another pepper grower in Okinawa to give you personal info, it might be some thing to start a log on temps and how your plants did, that way when you do move you can pass on the log to your friends. Being that this sounds like your first time you've grown peppers there I would move what plants you can inside if there is any chance of frost and cover the rest. Best hot peppers I have found that would live through the winter months that was cold but no frost was my rocoto peppers they seem to take cold better than most.

I do work with some locals but they don't grow their plants to survive and overwinter.... They start new every year....

While I was pretty sure they could survive a sub-tropical winter, I'm more worried about the pods that are growing and ripening.... I just got my butch t setting pods about 2 weeks ago.... My scotch bonnets should be ripening in a week or so....

Been seeing temps drop to low 60s, assuming its what is causing the majority of my butch t flower drops.... Would watering with warm water offer any benefits?

Been seeing temps drop to low 60s, assuming its what is causing the majority of my butch t flower drops.

Unless the Butch T is extremely finicky, I don't know why that would be. Our night-time lows have been in the low 40's and have dipped into the upper 30's and my Moruga, Brain, and Fatalii are just setting their first pods.

It has a few pods, but it's the only one still flowering without pollen now.... It seems to like the cooler temps growth-wise but not for setting pods....

Back