• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

pests Advice on aphid prevention?

Hi all,

I've been dealing with a pretty good aphid infestation since early November.  I brought in four cutting from outside in late September (seems like a long gestation time though), and discovered my poor Stuffing Scotch Bonnet cutting overrun with aphids, too badly to save.  I ended up burning the poor thing, but they eventually spread to the other three plants, and I've been fighting them ever since.

I've been hosing them off with a pressure sprayer a few times a week (Sorry I forgot who I got that advice from, but it was EXCELLENT, and something I probably would have overlooked.), sprayed with neem/Bronners - but used the instruction on the bottle and cooked half the leaves *facepalm*.  I keep knocking them back to where I don't see any, but they keep coming back.  BTW, haven't found any ants, thank God.

Seeing as how this keeps pushing back my pre-spring planting, I've finally had enough and I'm going to do a Pyrethrin spray tonight base off of some of the information I've gleaned on here.  There's no fruit on the plants, and no beneficial insects, with it being inside, so this is the time to do it.

I've found a lot of good information here, but one of the problems I haven't been able to find good information on is cleaning and sanitizing the area around the plants.  After I do a neem spray, I find corpses of little critters all around the plants on the table, but I'm assuming there may be aphids/eggs on the table and surrounding area I can't see, and I can't think of what to do to make sure nothing new hatches or arrives.  I originally thought about wiping everything down with a vinegar dilute solution, but I don't know if that will actually DO anything, so I'm a kind of at a loss and was hoping that someone would have some kindly advice.

Meanwhile, based off the information I've found, I'm going to try the Pyrethrin spray and put out a couple little lids full of garlic powder with the hope that will keep critters at bay as well, but any advice to make the area safe for the cuttings and the seedlings I hope to soon have is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• picture_2020_12_6_11_54_24_391.jpg
    picture_2020_12_6_11_54_24_391.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 126
  • picture_2020_12_6_11_54_30_934.jpg
    picture_2020_12_6_11_54_30_934.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 110
I've been there and it was a losing battle for me, tried everything and nothing completely eradicated them. What held them at bay for the longest was a combination of spraying off all visible aphids, applying neem oil, and once the neem solution dried, applying food grade dimataceous earth over the soil with an extra thick mound at the base of the main stem as well as at the big branch junctions. This seemed to be effective against the aphids but then the ants came and they were able to navigate over the DE and reboot the aphid populations.

I'll have to scare up some DE and give it a shot too.  Fortunately I haven't seen any ants involved yet, especially since it's indoors.  I really, really, really don't want the aphids hopping over to the new seedlings when they pop.  Thanks for the advice.

I too battle with aphids. And so far my approach has been like the above mentioned. Spray visible bugs. Neem oil. Diatomaceous earth. However, this offseason I've been doing a lot of research on soil health. inadvertently I am learning that the healthier your soil is the healthier your plants are the healthier your plants are the more resilient to these bugs they are therefore the bugs are less attracted to them. So far what I've learned is basically the bugs are attracted to some unhealthy or off-balanced aspect of the plant. It could be that there's no other food source for them. Or there could be something wrong with the soil itself. I myself am still in the research phase of figuring out what I need to do to create the healthiest living soils on my property.

peppersproutfarm said:
I too battle with aphids. And so far my approach has been like the above mentioned. Spray visible bugs. Neem oil. Diatomaceous earth. However, this offseason I've been doing a lot of research on soil health. inadvertently I am learning that the healthier your soil is the healthier your plants are the healthier your plants are the more resilient to these bugs they are therefore the bugs are less attracted to them. So far what I've learned is basically the bugs are attracted to some unhealthy or off-balanced aspect of the plant. It could be that there's no other food source for them. Or there could be something wrong with the soil itself. I myself am still in the research phase of figuring out what I need to do to create the healthiest living soils on my property.

I think this is regional, and only partially true.  Like all organisms, bugs will compete for available food.  Down here where I'm at, we have such problems with aphid, whitefly, and broad mite, that you'll see them even on the weeds - which are growing as optimally as anything in nature ever could.
That's not to say that soil health isn't important, or that one shouldn't implement comprehensive pest management strategies.  You absolutely should.  Just be aware that not all environments or pest problems, are equal.  

I recommend an integrated approach. The only way I've been able to fend these little buggers off once a full blown infestation occurs is by running Pyrethrin, Neem Oil (or insecticidal soap) and Spinosad in succession at 3-5 day intervals. Run through 2-3 cycles then you can back off to once a week or once every other week.

PepperFish said:
I recommend an integrated approach. The only way I've been able to fend these little buggers off once a full blown infestation occurs is by running Pyrethrin, Neem Oil (or insecticidal soap) and Spinosad in succession at 3-5 day intervals. Run through 2-3 cycles then you can back off to once a week or once every other week.

What did you do prior to the infestation?  What is your growing environment?  Containers, raised beds, in ground?  Is your growing zone clean, and free of weeds?
I have to ask, because that's a whole lot spraying and treating.  And if you live in a less hostile environment than I do, an ounce of prevention really does equate to a pound of cure.

I diligently inspect the undersides of all leaves and growing tips/flower buds daily after bringing plants indoors (after an initial inspection before bringing them in). I physically destroy any I find with my fingers, being careful not to damage the tender growth. I hold one hand below the area in case any fall or "jump" during my squishing with the other hand. I find they do not develop any resistance to squishing. I continue to inspect daily. Of course with a large grow, this is not a practical approach. It helps to thin the older leaves out. I have also had tremendous luck buying and releasing lacewing eggs. Releasing them is a bit cumbersome, but as long as a few larvae make it on each plant, the resulting aphid genocide is awesome. Even after releasing lacewings I continue to physically destroy aphids I find, being careful not to squish any lacewings.

Back