• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Advice on how to cut-back a SEVERLY frost-bit plant???

HwyBill

Banned
I tried to transport a nice, healthy Bhut Jolokia I had been overwintering on my family's farm in my father's greenhouse when I traveled back home to Chicago following New Year's Eve.

Unfortunately, it did not occur to me that it might get too cold in the back of the hatchback for the poor little guy, and he suffered EXTREME frost bite. A good 95% of his leaves are burnt.

CYoFR.jpg

How do I begin to cut this plant back so it will start to grow again?

I've never pruned or trimmed back any of my plants... so I have no idea how to do this.

Where do I start? How much do I trim? Where do I trim?

Thanks.

Cut it back like normal, 3 of the 4 OW I have all suffered from frost bite to the core. One died but it never stood a chance and 2 of the 3 living have tons of buds and a few flowers. That reminds me I need to update my GLOG.

Actually, that's not bad. Based on what I see in the pic, you can just remove the leaves and not cut back the branches at all. I have an OW that looked like that before I brought it inside, and it took a week or two for it to perk back up. I lost the leaves, but it started putting out new ones asap, and is now even blooming again.

Could call geeme.. I supposed the first thing I should do is to figure out if cutting it back is really what I need to do.

I tried to take a few closer pics which better demonstrate the extent of the damage:

1T7yR.jpg

yGoKh.jpg

Where should I take the leaves off at? Where they attach to the stem?

How should I take them off? Pluck or cut?

Where the leaves attach to the stem just pluck them off really when you touch them they problem will just fall off in your hand. I agree with Geeme just take off bad leaves and treat it well it should bounce back. Good luck!

Where the leaves attach to the stem just pluck them off really when you touch them they problem will just fall off in your hand. I agree with Geeme just take off bad leaves and treat it well it should bounce back. Good luck!

This was pretty good advice. Many of the leaves were very dessicated and fried, and just fell off with the sweep of my hand. I got a little more aggressive and just started pulling at the ones that didn't. You can see a decent amount of foilage in the dirt, and the bear twigs...

tjEhZ.jpg

It's pretty de-verdanted atm, but it had been a very strong plant and I think it will pick back up after some TLC.

I still don't understand much about the cutting-back process. Any good resources?

Glad you seemed to get it figured out. The hubby and I haven't had much experience with pepper plants but I am pretty dang good with my houseplants and some of the especially my Winter Cactus are VERY picky! We both have spent countless hours reading various Glogs on here. The best one for cutting back information is the OW http://thehotpepper.com/topic/25596-the-comprehensive-guide-to-over-wintering/ there's the link. Basic instructions: smaller limbs go ahead and cut them all the way down where they branch off of the thicker more hearty stems. Hopefully that helps and makes more sense. Really though it looks like now that you took off dead leaves that it should perk back up. Just remember to keep him warm give him some light and a little water.
Good luck!!!!!

*mutters to self*

Don't ask about the goop running down the stem...

4:40
I put Neosporin on the cut ends to preven rot and seems to help a lot.

As for a light fert, just mix a little bit of rich soil with water and pure it in.

You rock Cayannemist!

That's exactly what I needed was some more information on what exactly cutting-back does, and more details on how to do it.

Thank you so much.

I'd actually recommend anyone who is interested in learning more start at about the 3:30 mark.

Four days after the mishap, and it is already starting to set off some new shoots on the branches.

Should I feed it?

It's due. I use Miracle Gro All-Purpose (12-4-8).

Nice vid cayennmist!

HwyBill, glad to hear it' recovering. Put some photos for us newbies to watch and learn

You need to suplicate yourself to Cayennamist, he has taught me so much.

I'm down for 2013: http://thehotpepper.com/topic/36745-chicago-peppers-2013/

Hope it helps.. I be posting some video of the operation as soon as something interest happens...

Back