• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

overwintering Advice on Proper use of Row Covers?

Well, the frost is coming soon and I've hit a bit of a snag with a plan to shuffle plants in and out of the house, so it looks like I have to change the plan. I've been looking at these row covers: https://www.johnnyseeds.com/tools-supplies/row-covers-and-accessories/season-extension/agribon/agribon+-ag-50-83"-x-50-row-cover-7372.html and was especially interested in this one because it said that it was good for heavy freeze protection. Uncovering the plants in the morning is not a problem, I just don't want them to freeze at night. I'm getting some mixed messages from the research that I'm doing-it looks like some people say that it's fine to just drape them over the plants (in this case, potted plants) but others say that you should use a hoop to keep the fabric from touching the growing points of the plants. Easier is better-can you advise on whether you can just drape this fabric over the plants in late afternoon (securing it down with bricks, etc. of course) and then remove it in the morning, or does there have to be a structure involved? Many thanks for any help you can offer! BTW I'm in NJ, Zone 7a, and am not trying to overwinter these plants under fabric, just get them to about mid-December so my harvest ripens!

Last edited:
Back