seeds Aerogarden seed starting question

Hi all,

So I have an aerogarden led ultra and plan on starting a 66 seed platter in it this weekend.  I don't believe led lights gives off any sort of heat so I think you rely on whatever air temp you have in the house to help with germination. Well it's quite cold in these parts and I keep my indoor heat 68 while I'm at home and have the thermostat programmed to go down to 62 during the weekdays while i'm at work.  I'm guessing this is too cold for germinating and growing the seedlings?  

Any suggesting to supplement some heat with an aerogarden?  Maybe a heating pad under the machine or would that cause problems with the water getting warm?    

Thanks

That is exactly what I did. I stuff paper towels in the gaps between the Styrofoam block and plastic tub. I have the same set up. Can see pics of them on glog. I toyed with idea of getting a really small fish tank heater but opted for the heat mat. Seems to be working out just fine. 

Seacowboy said:
That is exactly what I did. I stuff paper towels in the gaps between the Styrofoam block and plastic tub. I have the same set up. Can see pics of them on glog. I toyed with idea of getting a really small fish tank heater but opted for the heat mat. Seems to be working out just fine. 

Cool.  It's good to hear from someone else in the same situation.  Do have a recommendation as to which brand/size works well for an aerograden?  Or can I just use my wife's personal heating pad and call it a day lol :P    

as far as nutrients, I just utilize the AeroGarden nutrients I purchased a big bottle I believe it's $30 because with that you don't need to add this and add that it's an all in one solution and it doesn't really require that much. Now what you need to remember is that when it's time to add new nutrients it's good to flush out and change the reservoir because what happens is if you add more nutrients it could cause burns. You can try any other liquid nutrients... why make things harder for you.

now as far as a pH meter, it's not necessary that's the whole purpose of the AeroGarden, it's supposed to be plug and play so no a pH meter is not required

now as far as the AeroGarden with starting seeds and whatnot I have germinated seeds before and then once they sprout in their first true leaves I transferred them into the AeroGarden and vice versa where I've 66 at a time and then transferred

now I've never dealt with LED AeroGarden so as far as heat it's up to you whether you want to add additional heating. They will germinate but it just may take a little bit longer. Now I've had the idea to try to use those aluminum foil tray plastic lids and use them as heat domes one to keep the moisture in and also to keep the heat in

hopefully I was able to answer some of your questions and feel free to always ask any questions

The heat mat is a germination pad with an attached thermostat,  new home heating pads typically have a built in timer and no thermostat. Spend the extra money on the right one and be happy and confident in your process for years to come. Just Google germination heat mat and thermostat and you should find it, mine is a black pad with green writing on it, there are several different sizes available. I'm not home now or I'd get the manufacturer for you. 

Appreciate the suggestions.  I did get a heat mat and thermostat before starting the seed tray. The thermostat is set at 92 degrees and water temp has been holding between 85-90.   It's been 10 days and there are 13 seedlings up so far with a bunch more germinated that haven't popped through the sponge surface yet.  Good thing a T5 4bulb fixture is arriving tomorrow because it won't be long before I'll have to transfer some these under it.  I can't believe how fast these are growing so far.  

I'm probably going to start a growlog tomorrow so if you want to watch a newbie stumble his way through growing from seed for the first time, have a look.  I'm sure I'll have a bunch of questions.  

Day one:   

zo1hXVrh.jpg

Day 10 
2gvWGRFh.jpg

this is my setup, i never use any heat mats, they will germinate even without it, as long its moist and not dry..

this is them now sowed 1.28 to 2.12

Back