• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

seeds Aerogarden seedling issues

Hi everyone. I recently purchased an aerogarden for keeping some peppers inside. The problem i have is that the seeds that have germinated all have helmets on. Is this common or is there something i can do to help prevent this from happening ?

null_zpsa7f08b90.jpg

null_zps3b51fe67.jpg

I also notoced some white fuzz on the root , although the aerogarden websote said it is normal as well as algea.

I also had this helmet on 2 of my plants.
On one i pushed on the sides so the helmet opened up a bit and then i pulled it off with succes.

On the other ... i pulled the leaves with the helmet.
So be verry carefull if u try annything.

I would wait for some advice from the experts here as i am a first year grower :)
Hope u can fix it !

I'd leave it, the helmet will rot off eventually and it's not like the helmet is stopping the roots from growing so it's not a big deal

I grew around 6 peppers this year in an aerogarden and they all did this. I picked 2 off and let the others go. They came off later just fine. I would just leave them.

i hate the helmet. it usally happen in the areogarden because the seeds just lay on top on the sponge but in dirt it get buried and the drit basiclly pulls it off

i hate the helmet. it usally happen in the areogarden because the seeds just lay on top on the sponge but in dirt it get buried and the drit basiclly pulls it off

I thought it might have something to do with that...

Now, will misting water on them help them rot?

if you want the helmet off take some point tweezers and kind of squish the sides width wise you will feel the seed crack and then slowly pull it off, works everytime for me, do not squish it on its flat side lol

I have 2 aerogardens, and I always push he seed enough to where it can get gripped by the sponge when germinating. I have a choco bhut germinating I'll take a pic so you can see. Or maybe it's too late I haven't checked lol.

, Walter

thanks y'all!

I think I will let them sit and mist a while. If anything i will try to take the seeds off with the tweezers if they dont fall on their own

Vegas_Chili said:
I have 2 aerogardens, and I always push he seed enough to where it can get gripped by the sponge when germinating. I have a choco bhut germinating I'll take a pic so you can see. Or maybe it's too late I haven't checked lol.

, Walter

Thanks! are you using the original sponges? and how many seeds do you place per sponge? 

Pac_Heat507 said:
thanks y'all!

I think I will let them sit and mist a while. If anything i will try to take the seeds off with the tweezers if they dont fall on their own

Thanks! are you using the original sponges? and how many seeds do you place per sponge? 
Ok here's a few I just took. I couldn't get macros to focus... My phone is garbage lol....

This is how I germinate, notice you can still see the seed.

IMG_20130728_182111.jpg

This bhut just popped out with no helmet.

20130728_181805.jpg

I just take like a very sharp knife and kinda pierce the tip of the sponge and then just lightly press the seed into it.

I notice you have the fuzzy part of the roots and looks like you just layed the seed there to germinate.

You should check out KINGDENNIZ's or my glog we both use the the Aerogarden and some other guys just use it to germinate. Hope this helps.

BTW if I have enough seed I sow 2 if not I take my chances and do 1 seed per sponge, and my sponges are the original ones too.

, Walter

Vegas_Chili said:
Ok here's a few I just took. I couldn't get macros to focus... My phone is garbage lol....

This is how I germinate, notice you can still see the seed.

IMG_20130728_182111.jpg

This bhut just popped out with no helmet.

20130728_181805.jpg

I just take like a very sharp knife and kinda pierce the tip of the sponge and then just lightly press the seed into it.

I notice you have the fuzzy part of the roots and looks like you just layed the seed there to germinate.

You should check out KINGDENNIZ's or my glog we both use the the Aerogarden and some other guys just use it to germinate. Hope this helps.

BTW if I have enough seed I sow 2 if not I take my chances and do 1 seed per sponge, and my sponges are the original ones too.

, Walter

Thanks, I did actually just lay the there, as the instructions did not mention anything about quasi-burying them  :rolleyes:

thanks a lot for the pics,. Do you just germ in the aerogarden or fully grow some plants as well?

I will check the glogs out, thanks.

I used mine to germinate. Yes you have to put the seed in a cutting in the sponge. I planted mine in March and I have 4 out of 5 potted up into 6 gal pots. Still no buds and think I am being attacked by mites and white flies, trying to keep on top of the whiteflies is almost impossible, I'm almost ready to Sven spray them all soon. Getting ready to set up the Aerogarden up again and try to grow lettuce and maybe try something else in the second one. Good luck to you.

Pac_Heat507 said:

Thanks, I did actually just lay the there, as the instructions did not mention anything about quasi-burying them  :rolleyes:

thanks a lot for the pics,. Do you just germ in the aerogarden or fully grow some plants as well?

I will check the glogs out, thanks.
It's my first time with the Aerogarden. I have 3, but one took a dump on me.

I have one extra version with the extended arm and 2 classics. On the extra I want to attempt to leave one in there. The arm extends to 34" so that's kinda nice. One of the classics is gona grow them to decent size and then transplant to a hydro setup or soil and the non-working classic is gona be my germinator since I also have the 66 cell Styrofoam seed starter tray.

Have you started a glog yet? You can start one and there's always super cool peeps helping out throughout your grow. Good luck.

, Walter

Hmmm.
First is to make sure the seed is JUST COVERED by the sponge------easiest if you soak the sponge first, poke a small hole, insert seed carefully till just covered. (Or cheat and put the seed in the depression, and top with sterile dirt.)
As for the domes-----the starter kit doesn't use them (66 spot starter) and I haven't noticed any reduction in germination, but have noticed an increase in mold and damping off with them.
Spritz of H2O2 cures it right up, and I use it straight (3%) and sparingly.
Full plants, 3 max peppers, and don't expect them to produce as well as outside or larger hydro, and they need to stay aproximately the same height---so some trimming as they grow is necessary to keep light on all of them.
As they grow large, the roots begin to clog the pump and need to be cleared out regularly.

I have two with the extra reach hoods.
Won't be using them to grow peppers, but nothing better to sprout them, IMHO.
I keep them in till several roots start to grow out of the sponge, then into dirt they go.
Poke a hole in the dirt the same diameter as the sponge, and bob's yer uncle.

i have the aerogarden ultra and love it, i have a peter pepper and it hit 24" tall in like a month and a half with germination, works great to germinate and to get big plant fast to repot, unless using it for 1 pepper you cant really get full size plants as in multiple, but great to get them started

PepperDaddler said:
What is the point of an aerogarden?
Simple sprouting without constant attention.
66 seedlings possible in a very small area.
Pretty much all automatic---set it, forget it.
Makes possible a few pepper plants to maturity on shelf, if you are short on indoor grow space.
Great introduction to hydroponics.
Reusable.
Can be loaded with smaller plants---like herbs---when done sprouting larger ones, like peppers.

Ding. Someone summons me ?!! Keep the cap on that they provide if you didn't buy any them medicine calibrators are fine. The 30ml size. Or them containers for them jellies. If you feel brave use a nail cutter and use a light to see where the leaf might me and snip one end. Making sure the seed is moist will limit helmet heads and pushing the seed a little further as well.
I also use it to clone :)

Back