• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

AeroGarden - Starting lettuce without the pre-seeded pod kit.

In this video I show how to start lettuce seeds in the AeroGarden without having to purchase the pre-seeded pods that AeroGrow sells. I reuse the baskets from an old seed pod kit, and add an alternative sponge, which is much cheaper, and works just as well. The lettuces that I start are Red Romaine and Black Seeded Simpson Lettuce. This is the beginning of a two series comparison between this and a (soon to be started) Kratky garden growing the same types of lettuce. I plan to start the Kratky lettuce grow tomorrow, and will publish a video of it soon. I'll post updates between the two grows every week or two.

https://youtu.be/hHb7d3RmMaA

Nice Vid Peter...I usually buy my Romaine starts, but each yr they put them out earlier and earlier.

Last two seasons were late weather starters, so most of the selection was gone before I was ready to buy and plant and selections were slim and almost didn't find any.

Going to start doing more sprouting this season vs buying.

Masher said:
Nice Vid Peter...I usually buy my Romaine starts, but each yr they put them out earlier and earlier.

Last two seasons were late weather starters, so most of the selection was gone before I was ready to buy and plant and selections were slim and almost didn't find any.

Going to start doing more sprouting this season vs buying.
Thanks. Yeah, it's fun to experiment with these, since they grow so quickly. Starting to see some sprouts coming up now. I just started the Kratky version a few days ago too, will upload vid once I'm done editing it.

Back