• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

hydroponic Aerogarden - When can I transplant?

Hi, folks, first post! (Note: I did a bit of searching with the built in search as well as google, and didn't find my answer, so apologies if my search-fu is substandard and this has been discussed...) :)

I'm actually using an IDOO (12-pod unit), but figured Aerogarden is more prevalent, hence the title. Starting from seed for the first time this year, and the IDOO is working great. Germination on my peppers has been between 5-7 days. Since I'm limited on seed starting space in the IDOO (peppers, herbs and tomatoes), I was hoping to get some input/insight on WHEN I can move my pepper seedlings from the IDOO to soil. My plan is to transplant as soon as I can into 16-oz double cups, but I don't want to jump the gun and harm the plants.

Various web sources indicate that it's safe to transplant once the first set of true leaves has formed, but none of those seem to discuss peppers specifically. I figured I should ask the THP collective for any advice before I do anything rash!

Many thanks from a total newb! :)

Rich

Last edited:
In the case of the AG, you can drop the sponge into the
soil as soon as the cotys are out. I like to wait until the
tap root has gotten several inches long, then prune the
root back to an inch-and-a-half or so. The root will then
branch out and make a 'bushier' root. once there are a
number of new root tips, then I transplant into soil. I have
a pic somewhere, I'll try to find it.

Good luck with your iDOO!

In the case of the AG, you can drop the sponge into the
soil as soon as the cotys are out. I like to wait until the
tap root has gotten several inches long, then prune the
root back to an inch-and-a-half or so. The root will then
branch out and make a 'bushier' root. once there are a
number of new root tips, then I transplant into soil. I have
a pic somewhere, I'll try to find it.

Good luck with your iDOO!
Thanks for the info, Paul, appreciate it! I think I'll give these another week (total of 3 from when I started them), then I'll move them out for more space. I went a little overboard on a seed buying spree, so find myself wanting to start more plants than I originally planned (gee, wonder if that's ever happened around here before?!?) 🤣🤣

Rich

Back