• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

pests After the aphids came........

What do you guys suggest as the best way to deal with plants that have taken a hit by aphids and spider mites? Should I just keep the same water schedule and let the plant go it's own, or should I use something to pick it up from dealing with the parasites?

I had an aphid problem earlier when you plants were younger. My habanero, jalapeno and tabasco lost almost of their leaves. I thought they were dead. I hit them with 1/2 strength 15-30-15 once a week and they are now about 12" tall and healthy. Depending on how big they are, I would hit them with a diluted fertilizer, such as fish/seaweed emulsion. I'm sure there will be more experienced people that will provide better insight as I am a newbe. What worked for me doesn't mean it will work for you. If you plants are not looking the best, it can't hurt to give them a little jolt. You may also want to re-pot and put them in some fresh soil.

It all depends. Aphids can spread diseases which is another discussion but generally I just baby the plants by giving them less water and nutrients since their growth is usually stunted, and keep them away from direct sunlight or strong indoor lighting for a little while until some new green growth appears.

Ok, well i'll try to get some pictures to you guys for further analysis. It's so nice to have this forum for help from some of you pepper veterans.

I feel your pain, did they look like this?

congo1.jpg

What did you do to get rid of the aphids?
I have problems with them every year and I must say that I never won the war.
In the end of the growing season I can make a decent harvest but my plants always look like sh$t and I have to restart all over again from seed.
I usually only use soap water...

Bleash

In the end of the growing season I can make a decent harvest but my plants always look like sh$t and I have to restart all over again from seed.

Bleash

Neem spray has always worked for me.

Bleash

You have to use the right weapons to win the war. Soapy water isn't enough, time to break out something new. There are several different products available, Safer Soap is one, that work fairly well and aren't harmful to you or the environment. Most of them you'll need to apply several times as new generations of aphids are born.

Good luck, hope this is the year you win.

most plants will recover as above, Don't over water, shade them if you can. I use neem oil and Ivory soap every day for a week usually will take of problem. Oh yeah mix 7 1/2 mil of neem and a teas of ivory soap to 1 quart of water no chlorine and no detergent, ivory is soap. Good luck with getting rid of bugs

I rotate between neem(or other horticulural oils), Soaps(safer's or reg liquid soap), pyrethrins(natural insecticide), and home-made chile/garlic sprays. Even just a good blast from a garden hose can really help.
The best remedy of them all is predator insects like ladybugs which can be purchased offseason

Back