• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Agar agar for use as a wetting agent

So I've been researching on using a wetting agent with my homemade potting mix. I originally thought that if I water often enough that the soil wouldn't be hydrophobic, but I'm thinking that once I put my plants out, that is more likely to happen. So that brings me back to wanting to add a wetting agent to my soil.

In my research I came across a homemade wetting agent I can make that uses agar agar. If you don't know, agar agar is a product derived from seaweed that can be used as a food thickener. But it apparently also has uses as a wetting agent: http://www.homelife.com.au/gardening/features/how+to+make+a+wetting+agent,15457

So I'm considering trying this, but I'm unsure if I should do this with every watering or if this is a one shot deal. Does anybody have some insight?

I don't know all the technical terms, so bear with me. There are things you can put in the soil like agar-agar or other things that suck up and hold water. I know there are some things in BB-type form. Basically, they act as little water reservours and as the soil dries out, the release their water to the soil. When the soil it watered, they swell up again. Dry-repeat-. There are other agents that "make water wetter". One that comes to mind is made by Amway called Spray Adjuvent. It works something like- breaking down the cell walls of the water molecules so it is more readily absorbed by the roots. Not sure how to wrap this up other than trying to clarify if you're looking for something that holds water in the soil or something that makes water wetter?

I'm looking for the latter. I want something that will penetrate the peat faster if it becomes hydrophobic. I'm wanting to do that as cheaply as possible, and this seems like a pretty cheap option.

What I'm unsure of is if I need to use this with every watering or not. Commercial potting mixes have a "wetting agent" mixed in already and you don't have to apply one every watering. So I'm wanting to know if this behaves the same.

Hrm, I've found that my local hydroponics shop carries Earth Juice Assist. I can get 1 quart for $13, which should last the entire growing season. I may just go with that. It has clear instructions for use so I can't screw it up (well harder for me to screw it up anyway ;)).

Everything grows on agar.
They use it to grow cultures in Labs etc.

Might end up culturing a virus or something that could be bad for the plants.

Chia seeds also put out a form of Agar...How do you think your Chia oboma gets his fro?

I don't think I'd want it in my potting soil.

Chia seeds also put out a form of Agar...How do you think your Chia oboma gets his fro?

Yeah, I thought of that too. The agar agar that is supposed to be used for the wetting agent is food grade. Dunno if that makes a difference or not. Anyway, I think the Earth Juice Assist is cheap enough for my needs and, with the clear instructions for use, I think it would be a better fit for me.

that was the point I was trying to make ... a-a is used in petri-dishes ... so its organic and food for all goodies and nasties ...

cheers
al

Back