aggressive root growers by type

I potted up about 60 plants this weekend and noticed that my habaneros consistently had more developed roots than others.  Is there a known source to check if that was just dumb luck or if habs really grow bigger roots?  15 habs and all had great roots and would probably be a lot bigger if I hadnt waited so long to pot up.   But I have more plants than garden space

Same pots, same soil, same lights. probably 10 different kinds of peppers, all started on the same day.

Every year before overwintering my plants I pull them out of their pots, remove as much soil as possible, then prune both the stems and roots. I'd say in general that chinenses have more well-developed root systems than annuums, pubescens and baccatuums. Of the varieties I have grown, I'd say the douglahs are total root hogs - not a bad thing, but they get the most pruning every year.

geeme said:
Every year before overwintering my plants I pull them out of their pots, remove as much soil as possible, then prune both the stems and roots. I'd say in general that chinenses have more well-developed root systems than annuums, pubescens and baccatuums. Of the varieties I have grown, I'd say the douglahs are total root hogs - not a bad thing, but they get the most pruning every year.

I have noticed that Douglah are always bigger than any other plant and have the craziest root systems, wonder why as it seems its not only me who has this result

Fataliis for sure. 

I noticed on the Morugas also when I repotted them I had nice root growth with tiny little plants, its been a month and a half since I did the plant out and they are taking off like crazy finally.  Did I mention Fataliis?

LOL - yes, you mentioned fataliis!!!  I've grown those, too, and while they have larger root systems than many, they're not nearly as developed as douglahs. But hmm… I'm not growing them this year, but your post is prompting me to put them on the list for next year.

I also say morugas. The largest pepper plant I've ever grown was a moruga it was 8' and probably 5-6' around, I tried to over winter, but it didn't make it, I still have the dead pruned stem even after I pruned it all to hell, it is still huge! :D

Back