• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Aging

I have been seeing on many bottles of hot sauce that one of the ingredients is "Aged Cayenne". Is this a process that is as simple as picking a ton of cayeenes and just hanging them on a thread and storing in a cool dry place for 1-? years or is there more to it than that? My other question regarding this is, does it make a difference in heat, taste, or texture to use aged peppers? Lastly, does it matter how aged they are, or is a 1 year old pepper pretty much going to be the same as a 3 year old?

Really, I usually prefer the fresh pepper taste without fermentation but I still experiment with making some mashes. The big advantage I see is the natural acidification which should eliminate the need for high amounts of vinegar, but the taste will change and to me it tastes more sour.

Edit:with the previous post deleted, it appears I'm taking to myself:)

The Original McIlheny method (1800's) Grind peppers. Add 1/2 cup kosher salt per gallon of ground peppers and allow to age 1 month in glass or crockery jars. Add white wine vinegar to taste and bottle in cologne bottles. Age before using to blend the flavors together. Try to find somebody to buy it. Get famous. Nowadays they do it the same, except that the salted mash goes directly into oak barrels. The mash is packed down and the top sealed with oak planks into which holes have been drilled.

making fermented pepper sauce

I always believed that the aging process is what makes Tabasco taste so bad. That and to much vinegar and salt.

Thanks for the info SanSoo.

Oh man I tried Tobasco once years ago and man I couldn't stand the taste of it and its not even remotely hot. I have since then been spreading the word of its horridness. :lol:

Yeah, I believe in fresh tastes. Habaneros and lime. A good Belize hot sauce will always beat Tabasco.

Back