• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

AHayastani's GLOG 2022

thp-cover.jpg

🌴 Welcome to my GLOG!

🌴 I have a small urban terrace garden where I grow mainly peppers in containers. My location is Chiapas, Mexico. The local climate is tropical with pronounced dry and rainy seasons. The temperatures can sometimes be too much for the plants to bear (especially around Easter), but in general they manage. The climate makes that I can grow peppers year round, although pest pressure is really high. Especially mites are a problem... I apply neem oil copiously, but it does not always work...

🌴 This GLOG will follow my 2022 pepper endeavours. Enjoy πŸ₯΅

thpros-20230214_102454.jpg

We are currently moving to another house. We were informed a few months ago that our contract would not be extended, so a new solution had to be found. At the time, there was not guarantee that I could keep all of my plants, so I made some hard decissions and stopped watering most of my pepper plants (only after saving some seeds, obviously). Only recently, we found a new house with a relatively large roof terrace, so there will be space for some pepper plants :) I will be growing less pepper plants though, because I also want to focus on growing ornamental plants for the house we will be constructing this year.

Edit: new GLOGs each year make no sense for my climate, so I'll just continue with the 2022 GLOG.

Last edited:
That's certainly a big space! Any concerns about the roofing blocking out too much sun?

thpros-20230214_102454.jpg

Yes and no. I use the roofing to my advantage. The right and left side of the image face S (sun all day long) and W, respectively. I only place sun-loving plants along the borders. In my case, this means I can place 2 pepper plants that will have optimal light and produce well (in theory, hehe). A third plant will produce less but will still deliver acceptable yields. The W side will probably be reserved for ornamentals. Many of them are juvenile plants that can't take the strong midday sun of the tropics (we're at 15ΒΊ). I also have several plants that need deep shade (palms from the forrest understory) and they'd be palmier flambΓ© in less than a day without the roofing.

Have fun getting that grow space up and running!

That won't be a problem, Paul 😊 I was going to wait a bit and first get everything organized, but due to turbulence in the Mexican space-time continuum, plans had to be changed and today I'll give the first pepper seeds their overnight H2O2 bath. I already wetted my bag of peat moss, because it was so hard it could be used as a murder weapon.

I still haven't decided which varieties I'll be growing, although the new grow will include at least one wild species, and I won't be growing any variety only for its looks.

Damn, I'm getting into trouble.... My "exploration" of the new opportunities has been a wee bit optimistic and my "will sow" list is exploding 😢 I already know I can't ask you for advice... would be like asking alcoholics for their advice on quitting the bottle. I will begin with some improperly stored seeds: nothing to loose there...

I ordered some plants and seeds online from a reputable permaculture co-op. I purchased some seeds of pimiento choco, an annuum from Ecuador that lacks heat (according to the description). Anyone who recognizes this variety?

thp-bosquechoco.jpg

Last edited:
πŸ€” They look similar to Habanada peppers but red...

Back