wanted Aji Ayucllo? Anyone know where to source it?

Not much info on this one. Here's a good pic for those that are just learning about this pepper, like myself. Source: https://issuu.com/catalogosperuanos/docs/120821164424-dce4ec6b9e0940e7a0eb9d7f518af3d1/20
Screenshot (2).png

@Thegreenchilemonster ???

Last edited:
In a way, I'm kind of hoping you're wrong, despite this looking to be the case. I found this name in the Monograph listed under the names for Peruvian C. baccatum v. baccatum, so I was expecting this to deciduous.. And not nearly as big as those shown by Chris Fowler, on his site.

Also, according to the pepperfriends database, Ayuyo is a Pendulant variety of Baccatum, and not a 'berry berry' type. Despite there being a couple of pepper companies across seas mentioning Ayucllo, it doesn't seem to have it's own slot in the database. From what I've read, it sounds like Pendulant varieties are almost exclusively a result of cultivation, and maybe that's what happened here.

I mean Bird Aji and CP-203 are supposed to be C. baccatum v. baccatum, but they don't key out to it, with 5 and 6 merous flowers and seed counts often over 30, and usually over 24. So I feel more confused, the more I read and try to learn these traits.

I messaged Garth to see what he had to say about the ones he carries.. Which look closer to pictures of the Ayucllo I'm fantasizing about.

Yeah.. That's a really interesting work. It looks like it is based on common names from a region?
Ayucllo is in there twice. I see a lot of entries that conflict with common names-species that I am aware of, and even within the work itself. Aji Largo jumps out at me, listed as Baccatum, multiple entries for Charapita as a Frutescens..
Seems like a mixed bag as far reference materials go.
Capture.PNG

Common Names!! :banghead:

The Chile Pepper Institute covered Aji Ayucllo briefly in an old edition of their newsletter - available for download here.

Based on the old B&W picture in the newsletter, it doesn't seem to be Aji Ayuyo (which I've grown and have seeds for), but I wouldn't rule it out completely. The shape seems somewhat off and the calyx is different than I remember (it's been a few years), but the B&W photo suggests Ayucllo may have transitional color/shades to the pods which would align with Ayuyo's transitional colorings during ripening and they seem to share an upright pod profile.

I found this post in a google search that suggests CPI used to distribute seeds of Ayucllo as recently as 2018/19, so they may be worth contacting.

Last edited:
The Chile Pepper Institute covered Aji Ayucllo briefly in an old edition of their newsletter - available for download here.

Based on the old B&W picture in the newsletter, it doesn't seem to be Aji Ayuyo (which I've grown and have seeds for), but I wouldn't rule it out completely. The shape seems somewhat off and the calyx is different than I remember (it's been a few years), but the B&W photo suggests Ayucllo may have transitional color/shades to the pods which would align with Ayuyo's transitional colorings during ripening and they seem to share an upright pod profile.

I found this post in a google search that suggests CPI used to distribute seeds of Ayucllo as recently as 2018/19, so they may be worth contacting.

I'm going to have to sign up for that newsletter! I saw that post on Reddit too, and do plan to reach out to them. I tried checking the site for them, but they weren't listed in the commons.
From the looks of the ones Garth has, I'd say they are ringers. They are supposed to go thru the color changes, like a few other Baccatum I've been after for a while. There is also a site in Sweden(I think) that had 'Ayucllo' listed that looks to match up with the CPI and Garth's versions.

I'm was mainly trying to track down the Peruvian version of the C. baccatum var. baccatum, in hopes it is more in the flavor range of that 'Peruvian Sweet Red' Baccatum you gave me seeds for. The color shifting trait sealed the deal for me.. Full on FOMO! 🤩 It was the Monograph that lead me to seek the particular cultivar out.

Visually and unless they are totally ripe, it is really hard to tell Challeano and the PSR apart.. Until they are ripe! I like the speed of Challeano, but I'm probably going to quit growing it because of that. Those similarities and differences got me wondering about regionally inherent flavor variance and the like.

What'd you think of Ayuyo when you grew them?

For me the Ayuyo was relatively compact and bushy, with the somewhat willowy/curved branches some baccatum will have. Very productive. Very colorful pods that transitioned through purple, cream, yellow, and orange to ripe red. I liked the look more than the flavor, but I only grew it once and it's been a while. I don't remember it being awful, just maybe a little harsh and as I said I grew it only the one season. It's probably not giving it a fair shake to conclude based on only one harvest of pods. I should try to dig up some old pictures of it to refresh my recollection. I think I have some. It's just a matter of where...

Last edited:
I went looking through some old posts for ayuyo pictures and came across a link I'd posted about them, further supporting that the names are just variations on the same - link Seems @ahayastani had this one pegged from the beginning. They're supposed to have a very good flavor too, so maybe I should have given them another chance. @CraftyFox I have isolated seeds. They're 3 years old, but they should be just fine.

Last edited:
I went looking through some old posts for ayuyo pictures and came across a link I'd posted about them, further supporting that the names are just variations on the same - link Seems @ahayastani had this one pegged from the beginning. They're supposed to have a very good flavor too, so maybe I should have given them another chance. @CraftyFox I have isolated seeds. They're 3 years old, but they should be just fine.
I appreciate the offer, but those don't look to be C. baccatum var. baccatum, and I'm really stuck on having a variety that is, if it is out there.. Preferably the one I see around that is really similar to the Bird Aji I have. Let me take a pass on those for now, and see what else I can come up with. I have a strong feeling there is a non-pendulant variety too, and this namesake seems to share 2 or 3 different species lines, depending on the source. Thanks for the offer, all the same!

I have queries in to both NMCPI and Garth, when they have time. I might even reach out to that shop in Sweden and see if they still carry them.

Topic..
Looking for seeds or pods, fresh or dried.
contact me i want more
I tried these 10 yrs ago...omg hot.. on par with a ghost pepper! excellent flavor though.. i made sauce with them... honey mango wing sauce for the tailgate party everybody loved it.
if you find seeds contact me i will grow these and give them to everyone

Last edited:
Back