• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Aji Charapita pruning question

Hello all from So Cal,

been a weird start to the season but my overwintered plants seem to for the most part do well. I have one Charapita that grew last year to about a foot to two feet high it stayed small no matter what I did.
it kicked a heap of really tiny fruit and they are still on it.
i just transplanted it into a large pot in hopes that it will grow to normal size. My question is should I be cutting it back since it’s covered in fruit and branches from last season. This plant I didn’t over winter. I’m just not sure with this one where to cut back.

thanks in advance, Apologies for the sideways pic.

Attachments

• CC5F1018-8BAB-4579-AC7F-8120ACD576C0.jpeg
    CC5F1018-8BAB-4579-AC7F-8120ACD576C0.jpeg
    190 KB · Views: 174
I was thinking about taking the fruit off by cutting back but maybe I’ll just trying to remove them as you suggest may be better. Do plants that have been stunted for one reason or another have the ability to grow to full size if repotted and fed. I tried everything with this little guy last year. I have two others charapitas that are a third the size of this one for some reason I couldn’t work out what they want to grow big

I can't help but feel curious about what that charapita is getting to make it look that way because mine was downright pathetic by comparison.

At the current point in time it's looking pretty sad (Almost all of the its leaves fell off for reasons I don't quite grasp) but I have three new seedlings I don't want to mess up with because I was instantly drawn to the flavor of the few pods I did manage to harvest.

Takanotsume said:
I can't help but feel curious about what that charapita is getting to make it look that way because mine was downright pathetic by comparison.

At the current point in time it's looking pretty sad (Almost all of the its leaves fell off for reasons I don't quite grasp) but I have three new seedlings I don't want to mess up with because I was instantly drawn to the flavor of the few pods I did manage to harvest.

That is a 5 gallon pot filled with all homemade compost.
Only morning sun till 12hoo and then shaded for the rest of the day .
Remember this is overwintered and at the end of our summer . Only morning sun , because of our extreme summer temps.
December to February highs go up to 115 Fahrenheit.

I didn’t over winter my charapita, do you have pictures after you cut it back? I’m not sure how to or how much to cut back. My two other little chara are getting lots of new leaves but this one is just getting yellow leaves and not much sign of new growth. I also think I need to get it in the shade more also?

Back