aji Ducle

Elpicante said:
Has anyone in the south west been successful in growing aji dulce? They also go by the name aji cachucha.
South Eastern in bucket seams to be growing fine and I think the two you speak of are different types of pepper plants I have grown them both or a variation of the Aji
Mine was

Aji dulce chato I think

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

definitely 2 different strains. dulce is spicy, cachucha has no spice but lots of flavor. Probably one of the most commonly used peppers in cuban cuisine is cachucha. With that said, I know they like humidity. Not sure about your dry area over there though, but peppers are pretty versatile

You are correct ShowMeDaSauce, aji dulce has barely any heat to it mostly flavor. It is used in Puertorican cuisine to Sofrito. Aji cachucha from Venezuela is very similar although I see it may be a different strain.
Update after several mishaps. I just peaked into my jiffy tray and saw I got four out of 24 sprouting. Wish me good growings.

my seeds must have been a cross. come to think of it, it was dulce sol from pepperlover, so I stand corrected. However, her site says little to no heat but the ones i grew had serrano heat to it

They can become crossed with habaneros and in some locations that might be more common. One of the articles i read said that it happens so often in Cuba or the Dominican Republic that its become a problem.

What u know about Sofrito?  

Plenty other pepper that would make a good substitute 

Please feel free to share your recipe for sofrito.  ;)

Elpicante said:
I have in Texas. No different than growing a habanero.
The problem I'm having is with seeds not germinating. I have successfully germinated about 10-12 habanero plants and they were from the $1 store. I'm currently seed starting 12 I got from eBay and so 1 has popped out about 3 weeks in the seed tray.

What u know about Sofrito?  

Plenty other pepper that would make a good substitute 

Please feel free to share your recipe for sofrito. 

For true Sofrito you need the aji but here it goes!
This will make you about 10 cups of the wounder sauce

4 large yellow onio
6 cubanella pepper
15-20 aji dulce
4 Roma tomatoes
2 large carrots
2 sticks of celery
1 can of pimentos Goya if you can find it
1small jar of pitted olives with half of the brine
2 Tbs of capers
2 bushels of cilantro
10 Culantro leaves
1/2 cup olive oil
1/2 vinegar
Blend in FP until all ingredients are well blended and you see no chunks
Add salt and pepper to taste and sometimes I add a packet of Sazon Goya with annatto

I grow aji dulce in the NE. It has 0 heat, and is a C. Chinense. Just grow the plant the same way you would any other Chinense.

Ripening aji dulce pods on plant

Fully ripe aji dulce pods on the top two rows, above the aji limo.

I've seen those red ones before aren't those calabazinas? They have similar taste but the shape is different. The ones I'm talking about look more like a scotch bonnet

Can you spare some seeds? I was told that some times when you order stuff online and it may come from overseas that it get blasted with radiation and that kill seeds. I think that's my problems

Back