• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

aji dulce

I plan on growing an Aji dulce plant next.
Just ordered one. This should be a great chili to cook with.

That is a great pepper used fresh or cooked, I've got a bunch just hanging around on the plants, waiting for them to ripen from orange to red, it's not a HOT pepper, but the flavor makes up for it...

what variety r u growing? they r awesome either way and even better right off the plant

i am growing 4 different varieties right now

Venezuelan
Chato
Yellow
puerto rican
panamanian

the yellow is just a yellow version of the Venezuelan that turns yellow instead of red

Of the three named Aji Dulce specifically, I like the flavor of the Aji Dulce #1 the best. I grew a dozen varieties of the seasoning peppers this year, I've got 6 others from Puerto Rico and Cuba to try next year.

A few pictures for your viewing pleasure.

Aji%20Dulce%201%20Fruit%20Form.jpg

Aji%20Dulce%202%20Fruit%20Form.jpg

Aji%20Dulce%20Yellow%20Fruit%20Form.jpg

Of the three named Aji Dulce specifically, I like the flavor of the Aji Dulce #1 the best. I grew a dozen varieties of the seasoning peppers this year, I've got 6 others from Puerto Rico and Cuba to try next year.

A few pictures for your viewing pleasure.

Aji%20Dulce%201%20Fruit%20Form.jpg

Aji%20Dulce%202%20Fruit%20Form.jpg

Aji%20Dulce%20Yellow%20Fruit%20Form.jpg

From what i have been able to find out, these r also referred to on the net as the following also

#1 Aji Dulce Chato

#2 AJi Dulce Venezuelan

#3 just a yellow version of #2

I personally like the Puerto rican one, it reminds me of the shape of a small 7 Pot.

Have you tried a trinidad perfume or Tabago seasoning peppers? how do they compare to the DUlce varieties?

From what i have been able to find out, these r also referred to on the net as the following also

#1 Aji Dulce Chato

#2 AJi Dulce Venezuelan

#3 just a yellow version of #2

I personally like the Puerto rican one, it reminds me of the shape of a small 7 Pot.

Have you tried a trinidad perfume or Tabago seasoning peppers? how do they compare to the DUlce varieties?

I think the perfume has a more distinct aroma and flavor than the yellow Aji Dulce, and the Tobago seasoning as well as the Tobago Sweet Scotch Bonnet have a flavor that reminds me more of #1.

Trinidad%20Perfume%20Fruit%20Form.jpg

Tobago%20Seasoning%20Fruit%20Form.jpg

Tobago%20Sweet%20Scotch%20Bonnet%20Fruit%20Form.jpg

The Yellow Seasoning I like the most is the Grenada Seasoning, but of course since I like it more it's not nearly as productive and the Aji Dulce Yellow or the Trinidad Perfume.

Grenada%20Seasoning%20Fruit%20Form.jpg

and of the reds, I like the Trinidad Seasoning the most, although the #1, Roberto's Cuban and the two Tobago's are all pretty close.

Trinidad%20Seasoning%20Fruit%20Form.jpg

Several lbs...?

Whatcha cooking....

going to use some when I cook.
WIll turn some into a tasty Salsa
and make some interesting Sweet chili sauces.

There is a ton of things you can do with chili.

I may even look into growing the Suave Heatless habanero.
all depends on how the flavor is.

Hi. I'm wondering if there's anything I could be doing to make my ajis happier. I live in the UK, and the weather here has been absolutely ridiculous. After a beautiful March, April and May were unrelentingly chilly and wet. I'm growing both ajis and dwarf bell peppers in a windowsill at work - very little control over temperature. I've got them on the north side of the building (unfortunately that's where my desk is) but I could move them to the south side. They do get great filtered (usually by clouds) light. From a whole pack of seeds, I've got three plants living, but only one thriving. One keeps threatening to die, but hasn't quite made it yet. I've heard they are slow-growing, but they are at least 2 months old now and the largest one is only 1 inch tall, but the largest leaves are a bit longer than an inch. The dwarf-variety bell pepper, on the other hand, well, the smallest is 4 inches tall and several of those plants nearing half a foot tall (from the dirt level). I give them water every couple of days, or a trickle every day. I tend to think of peppers as liking hot, slightly dry conditions, so I make sure not to drench them. But I have some of my bell peppers in the same modules as the ajis and the bells are quite happy campers.

Do you think they need more or less water? Direct sun (when we have it) in a Southern window? I can't seem to do anything about the temperature, I have to wear a sweater (!). They're still in their modules because I'm afraid to move them, do they need repotting into something they can stretch their roots in?

I would also be open to suggestions for varieties - I chose aji dulce because it was the mildest pepper I could find. All my favourite chefs use peppers in their recipes, but my mouth's so sensitive I get burned by mouthwash!!! So I was looking for something that I could respectably call a pepper, but without any heat at all.

Thanks for your help!

Zoe

I've grown so many versions of aji dulce, some are ok, some not so good, but none of them were really anything special in my opinion. There are only a few mild C. chinenses that I can honestly say I really like, most just taste like bell peppers

Back