• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

chinense Aji Painapple (Aji Pineapple X Butch T yellow scorpion)

Harvested my first ripe Aji Painapple today. This is a f1 cross of Aji Pineaaple X Butch T yellow scorpion. 

b3qHOn0.jpg

oS0E1US.jpg

Color is a deep school bus yellow orange

Much larger and wider around than Aji pineapple

eU0yVVz.jpg

This particular plant was started in hydro and moved outdoors when this pod was mostly grown. Took a few more weeks outdoors to ripen. 

ldOdDcd.jpg

I have 2 other plants that where started in soil and have been outdoors since plant out and are just starting to flower and get their own pods on them. 

Medium walled with very low seed count. Only 5 seeds in this pod. Smell is of typical baccatum with a hint of scorpion floral. 

o1xE08H.jpg

Taste, i'm not good at this part. Flesh has that crisp aji pineapple crunch, fruity, grassy and a hint of floral. Acrid acidic bite. Initially no heat that slowly builds to way past typical baccatum levels I'd say high end habbish maybe 250-300k. Mostly lips and tongue burn that just keeps building. Had me digging through the freezer for the icecream. I'm no pod reviewer so I can't take much fresh pod pain. 

I'll be curious to see how the pods on the other plants look and taste vs this one and will update as info is available. See my crossing thread for other info related to the crosses and their growth. 

That's awesome. I love the name. Have been looking forward to seeing it cut open and reading your impressions of heat and flavor. It's really a beautiful looking pod.

Great looking pod D3. I too am huge fan of the Aji Pineapple, so this is sure to be a hit. Great work mate.

SR. 

Thanks everyone, it's still early so there's still possibility of cooler looking phenos on the other plants. While I was excited for this one I can't really see it being a "Wow great pepper" Will see what else pops up on the other two plants. 

F2 is where all the fun will be next year. 

D3monic said:
Thanks everyone, it's still early so there's still possibility of cooler looking phenos on the other plants. While I was excited for this one I can't really see it being a "Wow great pepper" Will see what else pops up on the other two plants. 

F2 is where all the fun will be next year.
Didn't look like alot of seeds. I agree, you may get some different phenotype's, 2nd time around.

I may have over guessed the SHU level. Maybe it's closer to 100k... i'll need to eat one around the same time as a known level pod. All I know for sure is it was much hotter than a regular Aji 

Congrats. Looks good.

Hope you have more success with F2 than I had with Aji Lemon Drop X Choclate Habanero. I also had very few seeds per pod in F1, and most of those did not sprout. Further most of the seeds that did sprout, did either not set flowers, or if they did flower then there would be no chilies. Of the approx. 15 F2 plants (from 50ish seeds) I've had, just 1 plant got pods. And they were not worth keeping  :tear:

Good luck !

It looks really nice and tasty, but im getting smarter after the 2 years of growing pepper.

Wouldnt eat that badboy without a whole bread and a gallon milk :-)

Finally got my first real harvest of these, tasty, hot and almost no seeds. Out of a dozen pods I got about a dozen seeds. Hopefully some of them germinate next year. I think i'm going to make a mash once I get enough, still tons on the plants waiting to ripen. 

CPD8RlF.jpg

dnuL3TR.jpg

Compared to a regular Aji Pineapple

7XpfaBi.jpg

grantmichaels said:
Nice! Does it have some of that tangy Aji P?

I need to try them side by side. My mouth was burning from all the taste testing I was doing cutting peppers for the smoker. I ended up putting the ones I didn't send you into a ziplock bag and into freezer to make a ferment once I get enough. 

I sent you a couple of the aji painapple and pineapple. I didn't have many pineapple ripe or I would of loaded the box up for you. 

Back