• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Aji pepper shape?

I planted a few varieties of Aji peppers, this being my first year growing them. So, I'm still figuring them out.

I noticed my Mango and Rainforest both have a shorter, wider shape. While my Pineapple plant has long, thin peppers more like a serrano.

Even doing an image search on Google, I see both shapes described as Aji Mango.

So, which should it be? Short and stubby? It long and thin? Did I accidentally get seeds from a cross between Mango/Pineapple/Rainforest and something else? Maybe I cross-pollinated because they're all close to each other? Or is it normal to see two different shapes for these peppers?

The more you read and research, you will continue to find more varieties and shapes.
Rainforest is stubby. Mango has a long and stubby. Pineapple is long and comes in yellow and orange. There may be types and shapes that I’m not even aware of. Even different taste depending on color and shape.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MrSpiffy said:
I planted a few varieties of Aji peppers, this being my first year growing them. So, I'm still figuring them out.

I noticed my Mango and Rainforest both have a shorter, wider shape. While my Pineapple plant has long, thin peppers more like a serrano.

Even doing an image search on Google, I see both shapes described as Aji Mango.

So, which should it be? Short and stubby? It long and thin? Did I accidentally get seeds from a cross between Mango/Pineapple/Rainforest and something else? Maybe I cross-pollinated because they're all close to each other? Or is it normal to see two different shapes for these peppers?
MrSpiffy said:
Interesting. I'm guessing slight different strains of the same peppers, just due to small genetic differences.

A few crossed genes - a little DNA backstroke and you get 

mK8Mhjn.jpg

Note the three different pod shapes- the red/black/white circles are the tip off.

You won't get a cross from planting too close this year. If you save seeds next year may or may not give you a surprise or two

As stated earlier, the term 'Ahi" is a broad name for many different peppers.  I had an Ahi Mango that was elongated, stubby, as previously described.  I have Ahi Dulce, which looks like a red Habanero, pumpkin shaped, but mild.  Then you never know what may show up.

Back