• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Aji rojo ID, odd Naga leaves

I'm spending time in Puerto Rico and trying to take advantage of the climate to grow a bunch of peppers. However, I've been dealing with broad mite attacks (got good advice from gasificada on this website) and a huge ant colony not only living on my roof and in my car, but also farming aphids on my plants (thousands on a single plant). Think things are getting better, epecially after moving my plants from the patio to a new location outside. I hadn't realized that the plants were actually getting more shade as the sun's positition was getting higher . Now plants and wife are happier but I'm even more scared of the mites returning.

Anyway, here are two new issues:

First, I wanted to grow at least one of each major species and so I ordered aji rojo seeds from Trade Winds Fruit to have a baccatum. One of the seedlings was the most freakishy vigorous of all the peppers I have grown. Then it and a very vigorous Tabasco were hit hardest by the mites. Both recovered and then both were hit hardest by the aphids. Both are now ugly but recovering and the aji rojo has flowered, but it's clearly not a baccatum flower. I have read here and other places that there are several plants grown as "aji rojo". I'm guessing mine is a chinense, but it looks quite different from my other chinenses and the flowers are large. What do you guys think and have any of you grown an aji rojo like this? It now has set a small fruit from this flower (my other chinenses have yet to set, despite multiple flowers). I also used this flower to pollinate a Black Hungarian and it seems to be my first attempt at hybridizing to result in a pod actually setting and not falling off.

Here is the flower:

IMG_7236-1.jpg

Here is the damaged plant to the right of the Tabasco:

IMG_7252.jpg

Newer leaves and those on it's smaller sibling are pointier and spade-like.

Also, one of my newer plants, a Naga, has some odd leaves. Looks different than the mite attacks, but not sure. Maybe calcium problem or did I use too much mite spray? I think the smallest leaves are getting more normal. Even so, what do you guys think about this one:

IMG_7249.jpg

Other plants with it seem mostly unaffected (it's third from left):

IMG_7243.jpg

Thanks for reading!

Thanks for the flower ID! To clarify, the flower actually was on the plant on the right in the picture beneath it. So it looks like a chinense flower on a baccatum-type plant. I just checked and that plant also has 2 buds per node, but is so different in both leaf and plant form from my other chinenses (congos, nagas, etc.). It's leaves were even more like the new baccatums (aji lemon) that I have now when it was younger.

The largest plant to the right in the following pic was it when it was younger:

IMG_7022.jpg

Thanks again

Hi Chaotianjiao,

Just saw your question now.  As you can see above, the flower had no yellow in it, unlike a baccatum.  As a side note, the anthers were very short and stout.  But the plant itself looked much different from all my other chinenses -  even I though can see differences in plant/leaf form within chinense such as bhuts vs.  Caribbean  types vs. Beni Highlands for example. 

Here's a page where you can see the fruit (4th picture from top) and I describe the taste:

http://thehotpepper.com/topic/30300-pete-maws-glog/

They were taking forever to ripen despite being on of my earliest plants to set fruit.  Never saw the final color, but it kept getting darker and so maybe it would have been brownish?  The plant itself was 4-5 feet tall I think.  I'm of the opinion that it was a divergent Andean chinense perhaps with some mixing from another species.  It looked kind of like an aji panca as well, which still confuses things as that has been described as a chinense and a baccatum.

Back