Aji Verde From PepperLover.com

http://youtu.be/wROKVWEaapk
AJI VERDE (PI 290983)
Species: Baccatum | Origin: Peru | Heat: Hot

Aji Verde is another aji variety found in the northern coastal valleys of Peru, mainly in Lambayeque and Piura. The name translates to "green chile," however, the mature pods ripen into red and orange colors. The pungent pods are small, elongated and pointed, with medium flesh, measuring 2 to 3 inches long and 1/2 inch across. This variety is not commercially grown, but can be found growing in backyards or on farms cultivating a few plants. It is generally eaten fresh and is also used to make sauces

www.pepperlover.com

PepperLover said:
Which one you like more James, this one of the Amarillo? 
I think the Amarillo had more heat to it so that would be my pick. They are both good peppers though. Thank you for sending them!

Good review.Nice pepper.Ishowed this review to my neighbor who was born in peru and she says in peru they use this pepper when its green(unripe)thats why they call aji verde.Hopefully Judy has seed a available as now i have grow my neighbor a plang.Great job as always.

mpicante said:
Good review.Nice pepper.Ishowed this review to my neighbor who was born in peru and she says in peru they use this pepper when its green(unripe)thats why they call aji verde.Hopefully Judy has seed a available as now i have grow my neighbor a plang.Great job as always.
I was thinking the same thing on the verde sauce. It's usually considered a medium heat sauce.

Interesting. I have seeds for Aji verde that I got from Peru and the pods do not look like those at all. Let me go and snap some photos and I`ll post them.

I have a book of peppers and their uses, printed in Peru, and they show Aji verde to be like the ones I have. 

Nigel said:
Interesting. I have seeds for Aji verde that I got from Peru and the pods do not look like those at all. Let me go and snap some photos and I`ll post them.

I have a book of peppers and their uses, printed in Peru, and they show Aji verde to be like the ones I have. 

Nigel where did you get that book and can you share the name? It seems to me that aji verde depending on where your at in Peru is going to be a different pepper. I think this one that Judy sent is known by more as aji verde because it comes from the more populated and frequently visited northern coast of Peru. In my google search I read in spanish people talking about there favorite kind of aji verde so that is what leads me to believe there is more than one in Peru and the surrounding countries. What adds to the confusion is the different languages spoken in Peru and how it translates.

Yes, there are many different ajies referred to as "aji verde" throughout Peru, Bolivia, and even Chile. Some of them aren't even that green and start out yellow turning orange then red (ex. aji cristal also known as aji verde in some parts of Chile). So knowing origin helps differentiating one "aji verde" from another "aji verde". It is not a case of one being wrong and the other right. Basically it is an aji used in its unripe stage.

Back