• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Aji Yellow vs. Lemon Drop

I read so many good things about Lemon Drop that I decided to grow it this year. Then, I received some Aji Yellow seeds from Ajijoe, which he said he liked even better, so I decided to grow that one too. Both produced very large plants, which were very late to start flowering. The Lemon Drop was much more productive once it started setting fruit, with a thick bush-like growth habit. The only problem with my side-by-side comparison is that the plants were grown at two different locations. The Lemon Drop got a choice spot in the garden here at the house, with loose, rich soil and no more than 8 hours of full sun per day. The Aji Yellow on the other hand ended up at the community garden plot. Conditions there are concrete-like dirt with very little ammendments added, full sun from sun up to sundown, and inconsistent watering, as there were days that I just couldn't get over there to check on things. So in all fairness, the Aji Yellow had a harder life, and might have been more productive here at the house.

Neither plant had ripe pods when the first frost arrived, though the Aji Yellow had a little color on a couple of pods.

Here is what they look like today - 12 days after picking. Lemon Drop is on the left, Aji Yellow on the right.

LemonDropvsAjiYellow.jpg

Lemon Drop

LemonDrop-1.jpg

Aji Yellow

AjiYellow.jpg

Today, I was canning another batch of salsa, so I cut one of each of them up to try them. The Aji Yellow had a citrusy scent that reminded me of a Habanero. It was a bit hotter than a Serrano, but not as hot as a Habanero with a hint of sweetness. The Lemon Drop didn't smell very good, and while equal in heat to the Aji Yellow, had a taste that bordered on bitter to me. Not tasty at all!

Aji Yellow will go on next year's grow list. Lemon Drop I'm not so sure ...

With so many people listing Lemon Drop as one of their favorites, I've got to wonder what went wrong here. Any ideas? Anyone else have a comparison of the two to add?

Hi Bonnie, I am thinking that if they tasted bitter to you, that you may have picked them while too immature.
They usually dont continue to turn color if they werent almost ready when you picked them though.
So I dont know what happened! :)
But they do taste yummy when fully ripened ! So dont give up on these,they are worth it!!

Kevin

+1 what Kevin said. Aji Limon is a great chile, probably the most popular in my garden. I don't know why yours taste bitter. I've never had that in Limon.

Yes. We eat them like candy; last year I grew 6 plants, this year I grew 12 plants, next year I will grow 24 plants.

Congrats on the Aji Amarillo (Aji Yellow). It is a difficult chile to grow in a hot climate. I have 7 of them growing since February, and they are only just now beginning to set pods.

i think u should try another, ive had some that are bitter, sweet, hot, not hot.but when they're on they're great

I've got 4 plants this year. They produce heavily and can take a beating too. I haven't had any bitter ones though but I'm not an overall fan. If it doesmake it to the garden next year, it'll be strictly to update seed.

Is Aji Limon the same thing as Lemon Drop?

Yes.

Hi Bonnie, I am thinking that if they tasted bitter to you, that you may have picked them while too immature.
They usually dont continue to turn color if they werent almost ready when you picked them though.
So I dont know what happened! :)
But they do taste yummy when fully ripened ! So dont give up on these,they are worth it!!

Kevin

Yeah they shouldn't taste bitter, mine have a very mild and pleasant citrusy scent and flavor. They have one of the best flavors fresh of any pepper I've eaten.

Thanks everyone for the input! The seeds I used came from a group pepper seed swap that I hosted in the spring, and quite a few people sent in Lemon Drop seeds, so I'm not really sure of the source. Anyone that has seeds for a good tasting Lemon Drop, I'd love to arrange a trade :lol:

I could trade with you if you want Bonnie. Check my grow list in the profile, I have seeds for pretty much all of those. All my seeds are open pollinated, if that matters.

I did an Aji Lemon from Aji Joe this year too, Of the few I 've had so far it is climbing the list fast... I am going to do 3 or 4 next year, I bet it would make a great sauce.

The Aji Yellow looks like a pepper I grew this year that I bought from a local nursery that was called a Chileano, is that the same thing?

The "Chilenos I grew have a great flavor and love them just marinated in vinegar and salt after a couple of weeks

Yeah, I didn't like the lemon drops either. They smelled like cat pee and didn't have a great taste. I heard that if you smoke & dry them they make a great rub.

Im not a fan of these either. Pretty and productive plant, but the flavor does little for me. No lemon IMO but a definate citrus type of deal. I get an almost soapy sort of accent in the background that I don't really care for though. I've heard others mention this as well. Great heat. Really not a bad pepper, but I personally can't justify keeping it around next year.

Interesting feedback! It has me wondering if this pepper is kind of like cilantro, where you are either genetically predisposed to dislike the flavor of it, or not. I have read several threads where numerous people listed this as one of their absolute favorites, and assumed that maybe my experience was unique, but after hearing from cliffsdad and Capitone, I'm not so sure anymore ...

I'll give it one more try, but it's not getting prime real estate in the garden next year. It can tough it out at the community garden until it redeems itself :rofl:

The Aji Yellow looks like a pepper I grew this year that I bought from a local nursery that was called a Chileano, is that the same thing?

The "Chilenos I grew have a great flavor and love them just marinated in vinegar and salt after a couple of weeks

Well "Chileano" basically means from or of Chilean descent, and in parts of Chile they use Aji Amarillo, so it is possible they are the same or very similar.

Well "Chileano" basically means from or of Chilean descent, and in parts of Chile they use Aji Amarillo, so it is possible they are the same or very similar.

It Is indeed put also famous if not more so in Peru where its used in chilli paste & sauces and is a close Relative of the Aji Limon,Amarillo has a Milder heat but with a similar herby lemon taste as the Aji Limon/Yellow..Love them all...avoid Lemon drop bad hybrid.

aji limon is one of my favorite chiles. have grown it for the last 3 years and will continue to grow it.

A bit OT but I just bought a jar of Aji Amarillo and they are horribly bitter and nearly heatless with no redeeming qualities bar the colour. they look right on par with these.

Back