• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Aji?

the term "AJI" refers to a large group of peppers from S. America and a few Island countries, it is mostly a regional name that refurs to peppers that have a distinct fruity flavor and vary in there heat levels, most belong to the C Baccatum group but there are a few that are in the C. Chinence group as well

"Aji" is also the the direct Spanish word for chili pepper and seems to have it origin in Spain hence the Conquistadors

as for why there are so many i suppose this is the way God wanted it to be?? i have no other explaination for the reason there are so many "AJI"
hope this helps a bit, im sure someone more versed than i can step in and correct or finish this
I Love them!!

thanks your friend Joe

Aji isn't any indication of whether a pepper is any specific species.

Annuum - AJI CENTRO AMERICANOS , AJI CEREZA , AJI PINGUITA DE MONO etc.

Baccatum - Aji Amarillo etc. tons of peppers called Aji this or that for Baccatums.

Chinense - Aji Brown , Aji Chombo , Aji Dulce etc.

Frutescence - AJI CHUNCHO (PI 260480) , AJI DE RATAN (PI 595907) , AJI GUSANITO (PI 543203) aned others

Pubescens - AJI MONGOL , AJI ROCOTO (PI 355811) , AJI ROCOTO (PI 355812)

It's not a matter of the specific pepper being an Aji , as to what language was used to name it by the people who live wherever it grows or whoever brought it to that country...

In some cases it is seed vendors re naming something for more sales...Or in 1 case named by a cartoon writer - Guatemalan Insanity Pepper. :)

aji = chilli = chile = pimenta(?)

Anyway, like others said, it is a regional name for capsicum peppers/chiles. Spanish speaking countries from Panama south through South America and Dominican Republic, Puerto Rico, and Cuba use "Aji" instead of "chile" which is used north of Panama through Mexico and the U.S.

Even the bell pepper is called Aji (Morron?) in some of these countries, but it is mostly called pimiento or even "chile verde" in Honduras!

For example: A Cubanelle is called Aji Cubanela in Dominican Republic and Aji de Pais in parts of Puerto Rico. In Peru they refer to Bhut Jolokia as Aji Bhut Jolokia (those aware of its existence anyway).

Back