food AJs First Stab At Indian - Chicken Tikka Masala - 01-06-10

AlabamaJack

eXtreme
OK guys and gals...you are probably going to laugh at me, but I had never cooked nor eaten Indian cuisine before the Monday before Christmas. Sooooo...since I was in Chicago, I decided to get a couple of dishes from a mom and pop place on the south side. Got Chicken Tikka Masala, and Traditional Chicken Curry (asked for it extra spicy, but we know how that goes).

The wife and I got so enthused about the aromas and flavors that meld together so well, I decided to cook a Chicken Tikka Masala today.

I found this recipe via 'googlin'

010610a1.jpg

and had to go to the local Indian/Packastani grocery store and bought these ingredients.

010610a4.jpg

I got the ingredients I needed for curry powder and Traditional Chicken Curry also....

so the experiment started....

010610a2.jpg

were the ingredients for the marinade for the chicken....

010610a5.jpg

continued at next post....this will be step by step preparation of the meal....

Next step is to skewer and grill the chicken that has been marinating for 60 minutes.

010610a6.jpg

on a medium grill - ~ 400-450 degrees

010610a7.jpg

grill marks....

010610a8.jpg

chicken grilled and ready (about 3 or 4 minutes on each side)....put in microwave covered to keep warm

010610a9.jpg

continued...

while the chicken was grilling, I started the sauce in my well seasoned black iron frying pan...not shown is the 1 teaspoon of Bhut Jolokia puree I also used...

010610a3.jpg

ingredients mixed and cooking down....I didn't use whole cream rather 2% milk...it needed to cook longer for the texture to get right...

010610a11.jpg

about a 50 minute reduction for the concoction...

010610a12.jpg

while the reduction was going down, I cooked some Brown Basmati Rice

010610a10.jpg

continued

here is the chicken on skewers simmerin' in the sauce...the aromas are wonderful with hints of lilac....no wait...wrong recipe :lol:

010610a13.jpg

and finally plated...

010610a14.jpg

for my first attempt, I give myself an A+

it was delicious, spicy, the aromas were wonderful, and it was quite filling also...

if you like it, just try this recipe and just follow the directions...you can spice it up as much as you want...

That looks really good AJ! I am going to have to try that. Never had Indian Food before, plenty of Thai, but never Indian.

jacob

Looks really good AJ, I've never tried making it from scratch. After seeing your efforts I'll have to give it a go.

Awesome! Good dishes! But NJA may tell you Tikkka Masala is not traditional Indian.

thehotpepper.com said:
Awesome! Good dishes! But NJA may tell you Tikkka Masala is not traditional Indian.

Pizza as you get it nowadays in Germany or the US is not traditional Italian either. Or the various "Mexican" dishes ... But I like it anyway... ;)

SeeYouJimmy said:
Wherever it may have came from AJ it looks like you did a great job of it.

Seconded! I will have to try that in near future!

Hey AJ.

THe dish looks fantastic.

I make a mean Madrass Curry that i have perfected. Its made with fresh spice, curry leaves, tomatoes and diced lamb. A whole Bhut Jalokia and its awsome!

For the one below i cooked the rice in 50/50 water/coconut milk which is actually a malasian way but damn it was nice, and a side of natural youghurt, cucumber and coriander.

I will send you the recipe if your keen.

cheers

MadrasCurry.jpg

AJ you did very good !! I bit you'll be trying other things now. Indian foods are great. We had a first class in every way , service and food , Indian restaurant here but it didn't last long . West Texas people are still backwards on some issues. Wish they were still here !!

Peace,
P. Dreadie

thanks all...it is going to be lunch today as well...

Tony...post the recipe here unless you want to open a new thread in the recipe section titled the name of your dish...

thehotpepper.com said:

you may very well be correct...after looking up the origins of this dish, it seems it may have been created by an Indian chef in Scottland....other speculation is that it is a variation on an old Mughlai recipe...maybe BJA will chime in.....

LordViykor said:
It's a Pommie dish isn't it?

maybe

it was pretty warm with that teaspoon of Bhut puree in it...but I agree, the flavors went very well together...the sauce and chicken had a completely different taste...the chicken brought the earthiness of the cinnamon and the sauce the tomato-ey/cumin-y/garlic-y bite that really complimented each other...and I was amazed at the aromas...was almost like aroma therapy...

Back