along comes a spider?

Got some unwelcome visitors on one of my yellow morugas.I am getting ready to release some ladybugs.Is that thing that looks like a spider going to be any help with the aphids?
View attachment 11598

the white thing? wouldn't have thought so...doesnt have 8 legs either does it? 

for me, ladybird larvae, about 3 on a thoroughly infested plant, cleared it in 2 days flat....so you're definitely doing the right thing! The aphids were dropping to the floor to escape, so watch out for that and dispose of them

Thanks,I will be waiting till about sundown.Hit it with some nectar and let-em (ladybugs)loose.

I had a major Aphid infestation and just made my own soapy water saloution.  It takes a fewe applications but they are all off now.  At least I havent seen any.  My local store sells ladybugs as well.  Do ladybugs take care of a lot of different insects?

a somewhat related question...does anyone know if ants that are farming aphids will attack or harm lady bugs or assassin bugs?

dragonflies, assassin bugs, parasitic wasps, and ants. are some of the bugs that eat ladybugs, ants are attracted to the sugary secretions (honeydew) left behind by the aphids, they dont eat the aphids though. if your plants have good drainage you could Hose each of your plants with a gentle spray of water once in the morning and once in the evening, every two days. The continual saturation of the water should force both ants and aphids to leave the garden. 

ants 'farm' the aphids - put a grease band (or vaseline) somewhere on their path and it will deter them. Keep vaseline away from the ladybirds though..

magicpepper said:
dragonflies, assassin bugs, parasitic wasps, and [/size]ants. are some of the bugs that eat ladybugs, ants are attracted to the sugary secretions (honeydew) left behind by the aphids, they dont eat the aphids though. if your plants have good drainage you could [/size]Hose each of your plants with a gentle spray of water once in the morning and once in the evening, every two days. The continual saturation of the water should force both ants and aphids to leave the garden. 
Do ants kill assassin bugs? I have more of those this year than ladybugs...I think it has something to do with people using Sevin around here.

ikeepfish said:
Do ants kill assassin bugs? I have more of those this year than ladybugs...I think it has something to do with people using Sevin around here.

as far as i know the only thing that eats assassin bugs are bug eating birds, im pretty sure the assassin bug eats ants, i could be wrong, i do know they eat most insects that are bad for your garden and some of the bugs that are good for it to, some species of assassin bugs even eat caterpillars and other leaf eating pests

(edit- fixed spelling errors)

Putting a ring of diatomaceous earth around your pots helps deter ants. Only thing is it has to be dry - if it rains you need to reapply. It's harmful to ladybugs if they get into it, but at least they can fly to avoid it yet still get to the plants. 

Back