• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Alpine growers...

So, if I get this job I'm applying for (I'm pretty confident, which has me worried, ha), I may end up moving to Wyoming towards the end of the year. I'm not liking those frost dates... 3 month cool growing season, basically.

The job is up to 50% travel, so it's not like I can protect the plants on a moments' notice. I imagine I would need to look into a greenhouse if I accept the position (and I'm kind of considering turning it down for this reason alone, haha). Anyone have any experience growing in harsh environments?

haha well a different kind of harsh... We've been having near tropical storm force winds here in florida... But we get them this time every year...

Do you have a spouse (that you trust to take care of your peppers?)? or a kid thats into gardening?

Ouch, that's even worse than where I am! I'm at ~5,600 feet elevation, with spring snow storms, lots of wind; dry, hot summers with possible hailstorms, lows in the 40's and 50's most of the summer, and maybe a 4 month grow season if we are lucky. If you look at my growlog from last year, you can see it is possible to do, but then again, I'm a stay-at-home mom. Not sure I could be as successful, if I wasn't here to move or cover plants at a moments notice. A greenhouse would definitely help though. Wish I had the space for one!

On the plus side, I don't think I'm available in time for them to fill the position. They encouraged me to check back late in the year, but perhaps I will see if one of their other offices around the nation have an opening... not that I would mind living in Wyoming for a few years, but, I think if I wanted to keep up my pepper growing hobby I'd need to relocate eventually.

cannot be as bad as my conditions...

just start indoor in january and you will be fine
plant outside mid may and pray to have sun and heat

Back