• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

Am I being too picky?

I purchased two Eye Hortilux FS+UV T5HO lamps from an online retailer.
 
One end of both lamps is missing some of the phosphor coating. I have not installed the lamps, so they are in the condition I received them.
 
KIMG0034_01.JPG

 
I have asked for replacement or refund, but both the vendor and the manufacturer are resisting, saying the lamps 'should work'.
 
My position is; if I pay for a premium product (they are ~$30USD apiece retail), I should receive a first-rate quality product, not something that 'should work'.
 
 
 
 
 

Edmick

Staff Member
Moderator
Extreme Member
I'd imagine the only issue would be that you wouldn't get the proper light spectrum out of the uncoated section but it's so minuscule that it shouldn't matter
 
Edmick said:
I'd imagine the only issue would be that you wouldn't get the proper light spectrum out of the uncoated section but it's so minuscule that it shouldn't matter
 
I believe the uncoated portion would emit raw UV.
 
For me, it is the principle of not getting a first quality product for which I paid a premium price, and the attitude from the manufacturer that it is acceptable to sell substandard product.
 
I'd have to agree with ya, you should get what you paid for.  I wouldn't have a problem letting everyone know who the vender is either.,
 

The Hot Pepper

Founder
Admin
If you bought on amazon, and are not receiving adequate service from the vendor, go into amazon chat and let them know. Amazon will remedy directly.
 
i am not aware of a good reason for leaving the edges uncoated. you're just losing effective output and possibly emitting undesirable light depending on what you're going for.
unless they can give you a satisfactory technical explanation for why they should not be evenly coated end to end, i would say that they need better quality control. i agree, disappointing if it's supposed to be a premium product. 30usd/bulb is nuts.
 
The Hot Pepper said:
If you bought on amazon, and are not receiving adequate service from the vendor, go into amazon chat and let them know. Amazon will remedy directly.
 
I did not buy on Amazon.com, but I did use Amazon Pay.
 

The Hot Pepper

Founder
Admin
Stop debating if they will "work" or not and ask for a full refund, because due to this defect, they will not work "for you."
 
"These are defective, please let me know how I can receive a full refund."
 

CaneDog

Extreme Member
alkhall said:
I have asked for replacement or refund, but both the vendor and the manufacturer are resisting, saying the lamps 'should work'.
 
My position is; if I pay for a premium product (they are ~$30USD apiece retail), I should receive a first-rate quality product, not something that 'should work'.
 
 
sinensis said:
unless they can give you a satisfactory technical explanation for why they should not be evenly coated end to end,
 
I'm in 100% agreement.  Eye Hort positions itself as a premium provider and innovator.  That they themselves are blowing you off is unacceptable.  They should explain to your satisfaction why it's right or they should make it right. Period.
 
The Hot Pepper said:
Stop debating if they will "work" or not and ask for a full refund, because due to this defect, they will not work "for you."
 
"These are defective, please let me know how I can receive a full refund."
 

I have done exactly that, still awaiting a reply.
 
I received a reply from the Eye Hortilux rep, saying that the flaking was because they use thicker phosophor than normal fluorescent lamps and that the lamps were designed for horticulture.

I again requested a refund.
 
Update:
 
Eye Hortilux approved RMA to the vendor. Although, they are not admitting to the lamps having any defect, which they obviously do.
 
Now, I have to wait for the vendor to respond to my request for refund. Hopefully, they will not insist on replacing the lamps, because I was told by the vendor that all of the FS+UV lamps they have in stock have the same defect.
 
alkhall said:
I received a reply from the Eye Hortilux rep, saying that the flaking was because they use thicker phosophor than normal fluorescent lamps and that the lamps were designed for horticulture. I again requested a refund.
 
flaking??
 
is there actually flaking?
 
it just looks like the edge wasn't coated to begin with to me
 
sinensis said:
 
flaking??
 
is there actually flaking?
 
it just looks like the edge wasn't coated to begin with to me
 
That was my impression (so much for Quality Control...), but the Eye Hortilux rep called it that, which leads me to believe this is not the first time someone has experienced this issue.
 
 
Top