• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

Am I being too picky?

I've been following this thread and agree, you pay a premium price - you should receive a premium product.

A thought popped up in my head, do you have any other lamps for comparison? In other  words, any other lamps have "complete" coating?

That shouldn't matter. Most companies would practice "the customer is always right" especially at this smaller end of the scale (it's not a car) when they should be more concerned about your future business. Some companies inspect returns afterward but let you return if not satisfied. Have you read the return policy?

And you need to deal with the company that sold it to you only. The manufacturer or company rep will handle as they have with you. An explanation. They did not sell it to you. I would not fault them for their explanation and defending their product. If they in fact have a warranty you can try to exercise that. But the store that sold it should be trying to please you. I can see them explaining but also offering a solution if you were not satisfied.

The bigger stores have better buyer protection and hassle free returns. I once bought a TV from a local shop and had to bring it in, plug it in, and try to prove my case. They kept saying "I don't see anything wrong" with my issue. I even had internet articles how this was an issue on this model. It took a lot but I was able to exchange. I like the safety net of the bigger stores.

The Hot Pepper said:
That shouldn't matter. 

I guess I should have explained my thought process.

If older/original tubes have a complete coating than these are obviously deficient in comparison. In this case, if these tubes are what OP believes the best for their needs, then insisting on tubes with complete coating in exchange for deficient ones an option in working with seller.

If older/original tubes have the same issue then this could be considered characteristic of item. In that case OP would not want replacements as the issue will almost definitely be present in replacements. 

Got a shipping label from the vendor, and they say they have already issued a refund, but I do not see it on my card, probably will take a couple business days to apprear.

Anyway, at least they (Eye Hortilux) honored their warranty.

I will have to go to a local grow shop and pay extra for the FS+UV lamps, but at least I will able to inspect them before I buy them.

I am disappointed that this happened, but it seems it is working out.

So, I got the RMA and returned the lamps.

Yesterday, I went to a local growshop and bought two more FS+UV lamps, $30 each. I made sure to inspect them first for the 'flaking', and they appeared to be fine.

I get home and install the lamps, and one will not fire up. It has a brief flicker at one end, and then nothing.

Frankly, I am very, very disappointed with Eye Hortilux.

Caveat Emptor.

Took the bad lamp back to the grow shop, guy did not even look at my receipt, just gave me another one, which worked.

I truly support 'Made in America' products, and as an American, want to belive they are the best in the world, but this experience with Eye Hortilux has been rather sobering. Over-priced and substandard quality; no wonder China is kicking our butt.

Back