Am I frugal or just a cheap a**

I live in a rural Ohio community.
The electric company charges 2 cents more for on-peak hours than off-peak hours.

The on-peak hours are
6am -  9am 
and
5pm to 10pm

I have 5 -  T5HO 4'  6 lamp fixtures and 2 - 400W MH units all around 6500K

So that is when I turn my lights off for my seedlings to "sleep".

Not sure how much it saves me in electricity, I could probably figure it out, but sounds frugal to me, or am I just cheap?

What do you do to cut expenses if growing peppers?

Sounds smart and Frugal, not cheap; why put the extra money in their pockets.  

I have my plants in grow shelves in my garage, which gets preaty chili during night time hours and warms up during the day time.  To save money and electricity, I run my lights 18 hours on during the night time to provide light and heat, and 6 hours off during the warmest part of the day.

Being cheap is doing something counter productive to save a few cents.  Your just trying to save money.  Now if you cut your light times short because it bled into prime power time, that would be cheap. 

For me, I came up with the solo cup idea on my own before I saw everyone here doing it.  I use led fixtures to save on power.  I am a big saltwater aquarium nut, so at the present time I am just using some spare aquarium leds although they dont provide the ideal spectrum for growing.  Just standard cool white and royal blue I believe rather than primarily reds.

I wont ever buy another seed starter greenhouse again... I started using rotisserie chicken and salad containers, they are working great...
also, you can reuse canning jar lids as plant labels...I have tons of them..but I'm drawing a blank....

I try to get as much free and second hand stuff as I can. I just scored about 50 assorted pots from a friend. I scored a few bags of soil and a T5 for Christmas. All of these awesome pepper people provided me with most of my seeds. I think saving money on electricity is great!

Back