• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Amazing Mystery Volunteer

Well I found this interesting.  I have this volunteer growing, one of about 5 this year, first ones ever for chinense peppers.  But this one is a mystery.  I have never worked with peppers in this part of the yard.   Only thing ever was on the patio near here is where I harden off but nothing else.  This plant is a picture of health.  It has never been watered other than overspray from watering the flowers, never fed any nutes, and is growing in some horrible clay soil.  My wife thought it was a weed and topped it down to about an inch when it was 6inches tall and that was only about a month and a half ago and now its 2ft. and setting pods like crazy.  Can't wait to see what they might be, they don't look like anything I have grown particularly.

IMG_20150820_192246655_zpsb2xw5vse.jpg

Its growing out of a crack between concrete deck and some edge bricks.
IMG_20150820_200142831_zpsjn7chqzh.jpg

IMG_20150820_192313577_zpsy4irqqwe.jpg

IMG_20150820_192540136_zpshxgldyhl.jpg

IMG_20150820_192547377_zpstnhpxlcg.jpg

IMG_20150820_192607425_zpshft2glvi.jpg

D3monic said:
Almost want to say they are shaped like datil but plant and overall pod size don't agree
Yeah, pretty good sized pods.  Most of them are longer and skinner, but there is that one blocky one.  They feel very thin walled, so probably going to be something hot I would imagine.  I have no clue what to expect, maybe its a cross, just of all the places to have a volunteer, would not have expected this spot.  I have a few others in the garden where at least I had peppers last year and a lot probably dropped.
wayright said:
Lookin like a bbg calyx on that thing

Pretty plant

Kevin
I didn't look that close, it kinda does, but not as thick as typical BBG, and I didn't have any BBG last year so not sure it could be possible, but would be nice.

The small just developing pods look just like OZ lanterns. It's got to be a cross of some kind. Curious to see how they turn out. 

Thats definitely one of the nicest volunteers i've seen. It should be interesting to see what color it ripens to, heat, flavor etc. Keep us posted!

Hybrid Mode 01 said:
     Awesome story! I love it when Ma Nature makes it a point to step in and teach me something.
     Also, you really are one hell of a gardener. Even your mistakes look better than a lot of my plants!
Not too sure about that, I have seen yours, they look pretty good to me.

TexasHotPeppers said:
Thats definitely one of the nicest volunteers i've seen. It should be interesting to see what color it ripens to, heat, flavor etc. Keep us posted!
I will update this as things change.  Looks like its going to produce quite a few of whatever they are.

SavinaRed said:
A miracle plant considering that it's growing out of a crack in clay and hardly any water.
The miracle is for the life of me I cannot figure out how a seed got here.   Maybe a bird ate some and crapped there.  This part of the yard is where we let the dogs out so I never throw old pods there or anything.  Maybe there was a seed stuck to the bottom of a tray or something when I was hardening off.  Dunno.  

I vote for shitting bird.

I once had a catfish population in my backyard pond. I was a mile from the nearest canal or pond, and my backyard was fenced. Didn't notice them until a lizard fell into the water one day, and got grabbed.

That pepper hitchhiked from somewhere!

alkhall said:
Some sort of 7-Pot cross?
Maybe, but more habanero level on heat.

ThePepperTrent said:
Okay now I am waaayyy excited to grow this. How awesome!
I hope it grows good for you.  Who knows what you will get, I am sure its some sort of first year cross, but never know.  My Red MOA X from last year is looking just the same so far this year, i know its just luck sometimes to get that pheno you want on a cross with only one plant.

Geonerd said:
LOL!  The plant is making a mockery of all us growers who obsess over soil and ferts, and whatnot!

Pod Review, please!
Yeah, soil there was pretty bad.  I must say though, while I never really noticed, it may have had a little natural fertizer from time to time from the dog marking his turf, but wouldn't have been much.

I am pretty bad at reviews, but I would say it was OK, not outstanding.  Had about habanero heat and similar taste to a lot of the red habaneros I have had.  Its best feature was the fact it was so easy to work with.  It made a nice smoked powder and cutting them up and getting the seeds out was so simple as the pods were so huge and all the seeds were near the top so a slice down the middle and quick scoop with a spoon and it was done.  

solid7 said:
I vote for shitting bird.

I once had a catfish population in my backyard pond. I was a mile from the nearest canal or pond, and my backyard was fenced. Didn't notice them until a lizard fell into the water one day, and got grabbed.

That pepper hitchhiked from somewhere!
Bird was one of my thoughts, other was maybe it was stuck on the bottom of my shoe at some point.  Figure that seed got there from one of those methods.   And yeah the fish thing, I have seen that before also.

mpicante said:
Those pods look reaaly good.Justin Im thinking drop a seed in Canton and it will grow and grow big!!!
Well this year is nothing like last year.  I have some good sized pods starting but not like last year and definitly not the quantity of last year.  It got too hot too early for the size of seedlings I had I think and they were pretty shocked for a while.

Just realized I lost track of this post last year, never did a final update.  Heres what the pods looked like ripe.
IMG_20150923_170255094_zpsshtl2luo.jpg

Back