• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

American cars and fuel economy

While surfing the forum I stumbled upon some pictures with a big truck and I wonder what you americans (and other) pay for fuel. Because here in Denmark its pretty expensive.

Here we pay about 2$ for 1Liter of regular Gas and 1.81 for 1liter Diesel Fuel.

Or if we convert it... we pay for 1 Gallon = 7.57$ and 1 Gallon of Diesel Fuel = 6.85$

The Danish government is highly concerned with Co2 outlead and the environment, so prices for regular fuel is taxed more then Diesel because its tougher on the environment.
Also, big trucks are taxed more than more fuel efficient cars.

Besides that, I pay around 500$ in something we call Green Tax and the price goes up, the more your car pollute... I have a Renault Clio 3, that goes around 23km pr. liter and thats OK, not good but not really bad either, so I pay 500$ in Green Car Tax :)

And that is beside the around 45% I pay in Tax of my income.

"[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]Here we pay about 2$ for 1Liter of regular Gas and 1.81 for 1liter Diesel Fuel."[/background]

[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]But your wages are a lot higher than the people in America aren't they?[/background]

"[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]The Danish government is highly concerned with Co2 outlead and the environment, so prices for regular fuel is taxed more then Diesel because its tougher on the environment."[/background]

*Facepalm*

Political/global warming debate here we come!!!

I don't know what american wages are, but the law dictates that the minimum wages here pr. houre is 20$ but the average income pr. month is about 3500$ before tax. But there are a lot of people who are making more than that. A Schoolteacher earns about 4200-5000$, a Policeman about the same, an worker in the local supermarked earns about 3000-3500$

I don't know what american wages are, but the law dictates that the minimum wages here pr. houre is 20$ but the average income pr. month is about 3500$ before tax. But there are a lot of people who are making more than that. A Schoolteacher earns about 4200-5000$, a Policeman about the same, an worker in the local supermarked earns about 3000-3500$

Yeah, your minumum wage is almost 3 times ours.

I pay $1.25/L for super.
Diesel is about $1.10.
I make my own biodiesel about 80% of the time.
The people that own the nation formerly known as USA don't allow economical cars in the door. Never have.
They get stuck with gas powered crap that gets/got 10 mpg while the rest of the planet had cars and trucks pushing 30 mpg. Forty years ago !
Mine gets right at 30/diesel.1973 model.
d778f49c.jpg

Yeah, your minumum wage is almost 3 times ours.

What's your tax rate? 20-30%?

I pay $1.25/L for super.
Diesel is about $1.10.
I make my own biodiesel about 80% of the time.
The people that own the nation formerly known as USA don't allow economical cars in the door. Never have.
They get stuck with gas powered crap that gets/got 10 mpg while the rest of the planet had cars and trucks pushing 30 mpg. Forty years ago !
Mine gets right at 30/diesel.1973 model.
d778f49c.jpg

Ye, my car goes about 55-60 mpg at mix driving (city, highway ect).... even new stationcars goes about 45-50mpg in most of Europe and if I drive on a highway with even speed mine goes about 65-70 mpg.

But then again, my car isn't that big :liar:

Been paying around 3.25 USD per gallon in my SUV that gets at best 19 mpg. Horrible I know but its paid off. Here in the states diesel is more expensive, locally hovering around the 4 dollar a gallon mark.

Holy crap! How hard is it to get into Denmark? I need a working visa!

As far as petrol goes in Australia it's $1.33 last time I checked.

I drive one of these....12 1/2 MPG around town and 14.8 on the road...it is a towing/hauling machine...and...it is paid for....a new truck like this costs in the neighborhood of $45-50K....you can buy a lot of gas for that kind of money...

092809a4.jpg

Minimum wage here is $2/hr. Tax is 9% flat rate for the employee. I pay an additional 23% of the guys salaries which is my part of their SS and retirement fund.

Here the minimum tax rate is 39%...most people pay around 45% :) ... then we don't pay when we go to the doctor, or hospitals (we can choose to go to a foreign hospital, if the waiting for an operation on oure own hospitals are longer than ½ a month), don't pay road tax, libraies and the state pays some of your expences for medicine. Elderly people get a lot of discounts and all students gets a minimum of around 400$ a month from the state, to help them focus on their education instead of working (not high school, but from college and other educations) ... we don't pay anything to go to the university and if we want to go to Harvard, Yale or some other foreign univesity, the state help to pay most of the cost. Thats a small piece of what what we get for our tax money. I guess Sweeden and Norway have very similar ways.

Holy crap! How hard is it to get into Denmark? I need a working visa!

As far as petrol goes in Australia it's $1.33 last time I checked.

Pretty hard, Denmark has THE strictest rules on that subject in all of europe. You would have to wait 7 years to be fully danish and in that time you must learn danish at an acceptable level wich will be evaluated and there are many other things you must do before. You can basicly wait for 7 years and still don't get to be danish. :)

I drive one of these....12 1/2 MPG around town and 14.8 on the road...it is a towing/hauling machine...and...it is paid for....a new truck like this costs in the neighborhood of $45-50K....you can buy a lot of gas for that kind of money...

092809a4.jpg

Very cool car.... this is my car :dance:
0509_frankfurt_029+2006_renault_clio_iii+front_left_view.jpg

NOT a towing machine :rofl:

A Renault Clio 3, 1.5dci 68hp, cost from new around 18k $. here. :)

If you tell me your car specifics, i can tell you what it cost here. :)

GMC 2500HD extended cab, 4 door, short bed, towing package, Sierra package, 4:10 rear end, 6.0 liter gas engine, Leer Camper Shell, interior of bed and camper shell lined with carpet...

the 4:10 rear end is what causes me to get low gas mileage...I can pull 10K lbs @ 70 mph all day long...

Chilifan, my car gets around 16 miles per US gallon or 14.8 litres per 100km around town with a 6.2 litre V8 (317kw/425HP) and she only drinks the premium stuff. Fuel prices here can fluctuate quite a lot but probably average a little over AUD$1.50 for 98RON premium or $5.68 per US gallon. We're around dollar for dollar with the US at the moment. Average wage is AUD$69,000.

My car looks identical to this. $23K, 25ish MPG stock, about 10MPG now, 93 octane @$4/gal. Working on talking the wife into a Ford Raptor for a baby "hauler".... The car is becoming a bit too severe to cruise around in.

1303343565_l.jpg

i can pull 20,000 pounds without a hicup. 7.3 liter v8 power stroke turbo diesal. :P 9 miles a gallon :rofl: no pull i can get close to 20

IMAG0423.jpg

her name is "THE TONIGHT"

$3.37- $3.39 a gallon in virginia beach. I was shopping for a toyota camry last month,and decided
to buy the hybrid XLE since it was only a little bit more than the regular XLE.

GMC 2500HD extended cab, 4 door, short bed, towing package, Sierra package, 4:10 rear end, 6.0 liter gas engine, Leer Camper Shell, interior of bed and camper shell lined with carpet...

the 4:10 rear end is what causes me to get low gas mileage...I can pull 10K lbs @ 70 mph all day long...

Well I May have been a little quick there, because you will haft to import the car to Denmark, since its not sold here. As far as i know :)

Chilifan, my car gets around 16 miles per US gallon or 14.8 litres per 100km around town with a 6.2 litre V8 (317kw/425HP) and she only drinks the premium stuff. Fuel prices here can fluctuate quite a lot but probably average a little over AUD$1.50 for 98RON premium or $5.68 per US gallon. We're around dollar for dollar with the US at the moment. Average wage is AUD$69,000.

98RON is not normal here. 99% of all gas stations only sell 95RON, 92RON and Diesel. I could not feel any performance gain between 98RON to 92RON in my previous cars. Now I own a diesel car. :)

Back