• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

annuum An atypical South Texas wild Capsicum annuum

My second year growing this plant, as I like it so much last year. The seeds were labelled as "South Texas Wild" and I know no more than that about it. 

The aroma is very grassy, with a touch of sweetness and fairly typical of a wild C.annuum.

The flavor was a big surprise. Initially, it was slightly salty and slightly sweet, fading to very fresh grassy tones. The flash was very soft and juicy, with slightly tougher skins that yielded some sweetness the more I chewed. I love the balance of salty, fruity, sweet and grassy in this pod. Delicious!

The heat was also on par with any wild C.annuum. Hot! As normal for an annuum, the heat was prickly and a little aggressive, but very tolerable. This is a wonderful snacking pepper and I very much doubt any more of the pods will make their way into my house. They`ll be eaten well before that!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbQWV5eVaKA&feature=youtu.be

Reminds me a little of Black Coban without the dark purple leaves. I spent a lot of time in South Texas mostly around the Langtry area herping for Grey Bands. Wish I would have been looking for these. Next trip!

Nice review, as always, Nigel. Do the pods tend to fall off of the stem while still on the plant? Salty, grassy, green...interesting. Very nice annuum. A lot of seeds for such a tiny pod. Great job!

SL3 said:
Reminds me a little of Black Coban without the dark purple leaves. I spent a lot of time in South Texas mostly around the Langtry area herping for Grey Bands. Wish I would have been looking for these. Next trip!
I LOVE Greybands. A friend of mine had breeding pairs from about 7 or 8 localities. He had alterna and blairi and kept them all separate, with the locality data intact. 

Reactions: SL3
Nigel said:
I LOVE Greybands. A friend of mine had breeding pairs from about 7 or 8 localities. He had alterna and blairi and kept them all separate, with the locality data intact. 

Oh yeah, start at my buddy’s place in Fort Davis, then head down 118 to the Christmas Mountains, then run the 170 a couple of times before I head back up to the 90, then out to Langtry and drive old Pandale Road. Climb the Pecos River Cliffs and pull out a few Lepidus, stay at Rose’s Place in Comstock for a week or two. . Then head down to Laredo and cross the border and head down to Saltillo. Ah yes, those were the days. Blari, Alterna, Thayeri, Greeri and my favorite X-Mas Mt Phase! I sure miss Texas! Ok now back to peppers.

I'm a huge colubrid fan and have owned several varieties, the desert phase black and whites are very stunning. Also there are some tri-colors that have been bred with no red or orange that are very striking. My favorite snake is an indigo. Number 2 is a Rosy Boa from the California desert. 

Great job again on the review Nigel.My Malagueta and Siling Labuyo just started turning,and I am enjoying the punch of flavor little pods can give.(I have so much to learn).What would you suggest for cooking purposes for these little pods?I am going to save from a couple plants to try a ferment.

Sounds like my kind of pepper! :)
Nice to see you covering the whole range of heat levels and flavor profiles Nigel, well done!

Datil

a little bit of trivia...those elongated wild pods originally came from the simple small round wild tepin's native to Texas/Mexico...the reason they are elongated is over the centuries/eons, man's selection for an elongated pod has developed into it's own sub species...or at least that is what some of the research I did said...

Cool to see some snake lovers
I ditched all the Hots and Super Hots about 8yrs ago
500+ down to 12 and my 50'X25' snake house sits full of junk
Central American BCI(Honduran)
Longicauda(BCL)
North Brazilian(BCA) is all that left here
One mutt pair,proven double het and F4 Kahl strain albino(BCI)

Back