food An Official Unofficial Review RocketMan's Jamaica Me So Hot Sauce

Rocketman's Jamaica Me Hot Sauce

100_9251.jpg

Well, at first glance this looks like a wing sauce, so that is exactly what I am going to do with it. The label is interesting, but hard to read, that being said, not bad for a first go at it. I opened it and it has a very pleasant aroma. I smell fruit, specifically pineapple right away. The texture is pretty good. A tiny bit on the runny side, but still good.

Ingredients: Red Habanero, Onion, Sweet Potatoes, Raisins, Pineapple, Spices

In tasting it I get the fruit right away. Not sure if it lime juice or vinegar (neither listed in the ingredients), but there is a bit of tang to it as well. The heat is there in the background, but definitely not too hot. I like the creative ingredients of raisins and sweet potatoes. Those are two rarely seen, if ever, in hot sauce. Ok onto the wings.

100_9243.jpg

100_9245.jpg

100_9244.jpg

100_9248.jpg

100_9249.jpg

Ok, this is interesting on wings. It has a good flavor, but not nearly enough heat for me for wings. The texture could be a little thicker, but over all with a sprinkling of my cajun seasoning added for heat I really liked them. I think next time, I will just eat it on chicken breast or pork chops. For your first sauce, I say very well done Rocketman.

Edit: mods, you may want to move this to the review section. I posted it here because of the wings, but maybe it should be there.

I bet it'd good on wings. I have PF's t-scorp powder to make heat....but the flavor of this sauce is what makes it for me. :clap:

As it is a fermented sauce neither Lime juice nor Vinegar were necessary. The fermentation process creates Lactic Acid as a byproduct and that is the tang you tasted. If your not used to fermented sauces it’s a little different. When I put the fermented ingredients into the pot the ph was below 4 and when I rechecked it at bottling it still was. I don’t have a ph meter, it’s on my to get list, I used some ph test strips.

Heat is from the Red Habs, they were labeled as Habaneros and no one could tell me if they were Caribbean Reds or Red Savina's. These are the hottest peppers I have available to me locally till I can get some seeds and get something hotter going or purchase some powder to punch it up a notch. My aim here was a level of heat that could be enjoyed by most people or as Frydad4 put it a good everyday level of heat however if I were to start producing sauces commercially I would look at offering a couple of heat levels. Thank you for the review and comments. Believe me that I do take them into consideration when I start the next batch. I’m glad you enjoyed the flavor. Now I just need to figure out how to increase the heat without loosing the flavor for those with more heat tolerance. Oh, and the wife also told me the label is hard to read and needs some work so I'll be looking at that too.

Cheers,
RM

Edit: Those are some really good looking wings JayT!

Back