• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Anaheim and NuMex Big Jim are soft and rough instead of smooth and glossy

Does the title make any sense? Most peppers have a glossy firm appearance. My Anaheim and my NuMex Big Jim are very soft walled and not glossy at all. They have a felt type feeling to them. What could be wrong? If they cross pollinated would that be the issue? Thanks

The felt type feel of them could be they are going rotten? This might have happened because of a fungus infection, bug invasion or I guess that too much water and humidity might cause that. Are they soft all over or is it worse in spots on them. Like everyone said take some pictures.

Well, in the absence of pix, it's of course rather hard to speculate. I've been focusing a lot on growing those types of peppers recently, along with Sandias and Suharos. Anaheims, as you say, should be glossy and hard - with a thick, shiny skin that you'd normally want to roast off because it's too tough/shiny to eat. Big Jims, though, they can be softer (although not "felt like"). It sounds like there's maybe something wrong - see if you can post a few pics and we'll take it from there. Also ... taste them and see what you think!

Well, in the absence of pix, it's of course rather hard to speculate. I've been focusing a lot on growing those types of peppers recently, along with Sandias and Suharos. Anaheims, as you say, should be glossy and hard - with a thick, shiny skin that you'd normally want to roast off because it's too tough/shiny to eat. Big Jims, though, they can be softer (although not "felt like"). It sounds like there's maybe something wrong - see if you can post a few pics and we'll take it from there. Also ... taste them and see what you think!

Here is a photo of the Anaheim. I did get one pepper from this plant a few weeks ago that looked normal. Totally different than these.

IMG_20110530_195427.jpg

Back