• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

And away we go for Round 2

SadisticPeppers

eXtreme Business
After the disasterous bug infestation that was my first go at growing peppers (with only 4 De Arbol peppers to show for it), I've effectively rebooted my growing efforts. Don't know if I mentioned it before, but it looks like the bug infestation was due to the insect eggs being present in large numbers in the soil I had initially used. Other people complained to the local Home Depot about the same problem with the same soil I used, and around the same time, so it definitely fits. The soil I'm using now, a mix of Scotts Garden Soil and Vigoro Organic Mix, has been good so far, and as a precaution, I gave my plants a 2nd dose of neem oil mix just to be sure.

Today, I transplanted 15 seedlings into pots and have each breed under its own grow light. I posted up pictures in my Blog earlier today right after I finished, and after someone commented, asking if there was any particular reason why I had them on the bottom rung, I got to thinking why they shouldn't, at least for the time being, be sitting closer to the lights. My initial logic was that they should start with as much room as possible. So I moved them up to just under 2 feet under the grow lights. As they grow of course, I'll gradually move them lower down the grow houses until they reach their full height.

I should be ready to go to have all four breeds I've got seeds for (Butch T, Naga Morich, Bhut, and TS Moruga) ready to go within the next couple of weeks, since I still have a few seedlings yet that are still way too young to be transplanted just yet. In about two weeks though, they should be good to go, so by then, I'll be going at full tilt on these, and knock on wood, I'll have the first pods growing by August or so.

Hopefully, this go around will be smoother since I learned quite a bit from my experiences and from the recommendations on here as well (many thanks for that! :) ).

The plants should be as close to the lights as possible, measure air temperature at the top of the plants and if it is below 85F, move them higher. This will also help warm the soil.

Yes they will need to be moved down when they get too tall but that's the way it goes. Without reflective walls on the greenhouse most of the light is lost instead of absorbed by the plant. The further your lights are, the slower the plant will grow but the taller it will get seeking light.

Possibly I am misunderstanding the situation. Do you intend these plants to spend the entirety of their lives in these racks? At only 18" L x 27" W dimensions, any one healthy plant could fill the space before getting 3' tall if given enough light, but once the plants start getting tall and skinny, the top leaves shadow the lower ones and it becomes even more important to have reflective side panels on the racks.

Back