food Andouille sausage and chicken stew

I figured I would post this here. I didn't come up with this recipe completely on my own, I am sure I saw it on the food network a few years ago but I've never made it before as I could never find andouille sausage! Well, the other day the butcher had some in, so I bought it.

Here's what I used:

2 andouille sausages, cut into rounds
8 chicken thighs, cubed up
~1/2 - 3/4 cup flour (for breading chicken and thickening stock)
a home made spice rub that is similar to emeril's spice (cayenne, paprika, thyme, salt, pepper, onion powder)
1 onion, chopped roughly
1 zucchini cut into 4 sticks then sliced thin
2 fresno's
8 brown mushroom's (crimini) sliced thin
4 cloves garlic
cayenne pepper powder
black pepper
salt
2 cups chicken stock
1/2 cup cream
1/2 cup parmesan

Making the dish was easy. Mix the spice rub in the flour:
IMG_1146.JPG

Chop all veggies:

IMG_1143.JPG

Chop up sausage and chicken:

IMG_1149.JPG

Coat chicken in flour, then fry in oil in a pot till lightly browned. Work in small batches so you don't crowd the pot:

IMG_1150.JPG

Once chicken is done:
IMG_1152.JPG

Pour out excess oil from the pot - but don't rinse it out - add the sausage and cook on medium high heat till the oils run out of the sausage, then add the veggies and cook till they are nearly translucent. Add some more cayenne pepper if you like heat (I had to keep this pretty mild for my wife) and add about 2 tbsp of the flour mixture and stir it in well.

Pour in the chicken stock & cream, cook for a couple minutes. Add back in the chicken thigh:

IMG_1153.JPG

Grate in about half a cup or more of parmesan and bake in the oven or continue to cook on the stove for 10-15 mins until it's thickened up nicely. Then serve with rice or pasta:

IMG_1156.JPG

My wife rated this a "definite cook again" dinner. I give it a 7/10 personally. Flavour was pretty good but I think it needed some fresh herbs.

Back