• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

breeding Another attempted cross. Did it work?

I attempted a cross of a bhut jolokia with an annuum a while back. I was not able to tell if the f1 was for sure a cross. It looked a lot like a regular bhut. Here are the F2s. I am getting the feeling they are just pure bhuts. What do you think? Do they look at all like they could be a chinense/annuum cross? They also don't seem to look different enough from each other to be F2s. If they don't turn out to be a cross I'll have to try again this spring.

IMG_0370.jpg

IMG_0369.jpg

Here is another set of the same attempted cross from a different try. They have been outside in the cold winter weather with bad light and have been infested with aphids so they are in horrible condition.

IMG_0371_2.jpg

IMG_0372_2.jpg

The leaves look like Bhuts to me. They are slightly serrated. I think you are going to have to wait longer to find out. Hopefully some of the more knowledgeable members will be more helpful.

Neither of these were done the right way with emasculating the flower. I covered my finger with a ton of pollen from the annuum and rubbed it on the bhut flower. The bhuts didn't look like they had any pollen on them so I figured it would work but it doesn't look like it did.

Skydiver said:
I freaking love you for posting that.
Not enough for tongue, mind you, but a serious bro hug.

Hahaha thanks. I plan to try and do a cross myself this season. Probably stick with one species to increase my chances.

if the flowers are not mature and the stigma not ready to accept pollen, then the cross probably didn't work...it's all a timing thing...

Josh said:
Hahaha thanks. I plan to try and do a cross myself this season. Probably stick with one species to increase my chances.

Same here, bro. This is something I've always wanted to try but never really knew how to go about doing it.
This will help greatly.
Now I just need to figure out what I want to attempt to cross.

I am probably going to be crossing a Yellow 7 Pod with something. As fall arrives, and the temperatures drop, I experience a lot of split pods. This happened to some degree with all the varieties except the 7 Pods. Hopefully I will get lucky and have this trait carry through on the cross. The real concern for me will be the F2 seeds. I can imagine my 2012 season will have some serious surprises.

Back