Another Connecticut guy.....

Hey, what's up everybody! I already know quite a few people here from other pepper forums, and I've been lurking here long enough that feel like I know a lot of you other guys/gals already.

Anyway... Mike from CT here. Born and raised in CT (no, we're not all snobby pricks, haha), I only left CT (to live) when I was in the service: 1 year out in the Mojave Desert (Twentynine Palms, CA '99-'00), and 3 years at Camp Lejeune (Jacksonville, NC 00-'03), been back here ever since. I've been growing peppers for a few years now (since 2014), and I hope you guys don't mind having me around.

I'm 35 now, married with 3 kids, Ironworker by day (and sometimes by night, depending on the job), I love growing pods, firing up the smoker, and drinking a few beers with fellow Chileheads. A few of my buddies around here claim to like "hot" stuff, but.... you know how that goes.....

The Hot Sauce area of this forum really gave me the guts to start making (and bottling) my own stuff, so thanks very much for that! All "hobby" sauces so far, but who knows? Maybe someday, somewhere in a land, far, far away.....

Okay, enough drunken rambling. Nice to meet you all! Off to say hello to the fermenting crew.....

iron worker?

sheeeeee-it. we got a real man up in here.

what is your fav. ASTM W-beam size?

mine is W8x18 yo.

dat 3 car garage span yo. gluelam is lame and gay. LVL is less gay but still more gay than steel.

Sorry, dude (queequeg). I'm trying to quote you. Gonna take me a little bit to figure out the format here, I'll get it eventually.

"Favorite size beam?" Hahaha. Interesting question; never been asked that before, haha. Dunno. Wider the better I guess. The little ones are nice because they make you "respect" the iron you're walking on; sometimes it's easy to get a little "too comfortable" on the wider ones, if that makes any sense. Take it from a guy who fell 30' a couple years ago, haha

Here's me chomping on some early season MoAs at about 80' up last Spring; 8" beams (2016) (first attempt at posting a pic here; bear with me) :

Okay, those pics worked. Why the hell won't Photobucket let me paste a link for my profile pic? Copied the image link "URL." Any help? (besides "Photobucket sucks...") Thanks in advance

ahhh, thats so cool...

good point regarding wider flange beams... never considered how hard it would be to walk on narrow beams. i do alot of design work on waste water plants... we spec alot of narrow flange beams with skinny webs, this is because the loads are microscopic though.. just supporting walkways basically. biggest span for a circ. clarifier is usually like 34 feet.

ive never seen them assemble one of the walkways... i doubt they would need to walk on them though?. tanks are only like 12 or 16 feet tall.

MikeUSMC said:
Okay, those pics worked. Why the hell won't Photobucket let me paste a link for my profile pic? Copied the image link "URL." Any help? (besides "Photobucket sucks...") Thanks in advance
i think you need to select the raw url link, not the one that includes the bulliton board code?

i think you can also save the img to your desktop and upload the pic into the website... it just has to be like small, i think there is a limitation for profile pics? its been a while since i did mine, sorry.

bb code = stuff like [.img][./img] without the period.

queequeg152 said:
i think you need to select the raw url link, not the one that includes the bulliton board code?

i think you can also save the img to your desktop and upload the pic into the website... it just has to be like small, i think there is a limitation for profile pics? its been a while since i did mine, sorry.

bb code = stuff like [.img][./img] without the period.

Thanks, man. All iPhone here, no laptop. I'll have to Google how to downsize pics in the Apple Photobucket app or something. "BB code, IMG, URL," etc. You might as well be speaking Arabic to me, hahaha (no offense, I'm just not a tech savvy guy). I must've tried it 10 different ways this afternoon with no luck. That's about when I decided to start cracking beers open, haha. I'll get it eventually

Hi and welcome from western MA. You'd probably have gotten along great with my old man... USMC, 1st of the 1st, Korea. He was an iron worker too. Cheers!

stickman said:
You'd probably have gotten along great with my old man... USMC, 1st of the 1st, Korea. He was an iron worker too. Cheers!
You're probably right, man! That's awesome. If he's got any Irish on him (like I do), that's the recipe for "The Perfect Storm," hahaha! Get a couple beers in us, and all of a sudden we're 10ft tall and bulletproof

Hey Mike! I am a fellow Vet and CT resident. I am in Bristol. I am also new to this site. I started my own pepper infused chocolate company.

Back