• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Another Couple Noob Questions

Today is day two of my pepper seeds being in the soilless starter mix. Heat mat is holding a steady 80 degree plus.

Two noob questions:

1) Can I presume that as long as there is a goodly amount of condensate inside the "dome" lid, no additional water is needed?

2) I have started the seeds in the 72 cell per tray units (eight 9 cell sections). I will obviously pot up later. However, what happens when I get one seed germinated of a 9 cell unit? Do I immediately move that whole nine cell section under the lights, even though only one of the nine has sprouted?

Whew! Sorry to be so ignorant. Being brand new at this and wanting to have some peppers, I tend to worry about answers to situations that have not even happened yet! :confused:

Well...
1. the germination medium has to be constantly moist to ensure fast and proper germination. do not wet the medium, only moisten it. as long as it's moist, let it be.
2. new sprouts (and plants in general) need light, so they naturally grow towards light. not enough light may cause a long, leggy growth. so... it's your call. I just germinate mine under a light so I don't have to worry about it (it's also how I keep them warm).

Good luck.

1. Always check no matter what. Water loss happens condensation or not.
2. And God said let there be light. As soon as one pops up its time for light. Usually the others follow suit soon afterwards.

Just to expand a bit....

1. I had a small issue with lids. All the condensation would roll off and go into the cells around the outside. Add that to the fact the heat mat will dry the center cells out faster. It was touchy keeping moisture even to all cells so I took the lid off. I left some water in the shell under the cells. Don't put enough that the bottoms touch of they will absorb it and swamp the seeds. Leaving a small amount helped because the heat would turn it to humidity. I noticed the center cells didn't dry as rapid after that.

2. When seeds sprout their only nutrition is from the cots. Don't be hasty to transplant because if you damage the cots you've lost the plant. You CAN move them, just warning ya. I wouldn't move them till their second set of true leaves UP TILL you first see roots peek out the bottom of the cell.

This is my noob year too :dance: best of luck!

Found out why I have so much condensate: When I lift out one of the 9 cell trays, there is about a quarter inch of water in the larger bottom tray.

Too much there? And should I siphon it out, or does it not hurt it being there?

Doesn't seem like it will move up into the pots unless their roots drawing it up, right? No roots yet.....

I have removed the dome for awhile......

More noob questions for the experienced growers, from another Jeff. I have a mixed group of habs, medium hots, and a few bhuts.

1) My lighting system is a bay window, is that bad? The light is indirect for now.

2) I'm thinking of going directly from Jiffy peat pots to the garden ( with some proper hardening-off) when the weather is warm enough - approximately six weeks from now. My seedings will be 6-7 weeks old. Would you expect them to be root-bound by that stage?

All advice much appreciated.

Jeff#1, too much water. If you leave any in the bottom you dont want it to actually touch the bottom of the cells. I left just enough to fillthe voids between the ribs on the bottom......1/16th to 1/8th inch. Pour the water out and put a fan on them. get it dried out on top or they will be way too damp.

Jeff#2 the more light the better. Any supplemental light you can give them will help, just not incandescents.... If they are healthy they will be too big for the Jiffy's in 6-7 weeks.... May have to do the beer cups thing. If hardened they can go outside then. Once they get a few sets of leaves start taking them outside for a hour or so. They will LOVE Mr Sun :dance:

Jeff#1, too much water. If you leave any in the bottom you dont want it to actually touch the bottom of the cells. I left just enough to fillthe voids between the ribs on the bottom......1/16th to 1/8th inch. Pour the water out and put a fan on them. get it dried out on top or they will be way too damp.

Jeff#2 the more light the better. Any supplemental light you can give them will help, just not incandescents.... If they are healthy they will be too big for the Jiffy's in 6-7 weeks.... May have to do the beer cups thing. If hardened they can go outside then. Once they get a few sets of leaves start taking them outside for a hour or so. They will LOVE Mr Sun :dance:

#1 Jeff says thanks Woodie3Says,

removed dome, drained all excess water in bottom tray, fan on.

Will cover with dome tonight after a light misting?

I found it a bit touchy with the dome on. What kind of seed mix do you have? If it holds good moisture I would leave the dome off. The top will look dry, but poke a toothpick down in it and it will be still be moist. Keeping the top closer to dry will aleviate any fungus/mold from growing. The lids seem to breed it like wildfire.

PS Youre welcome!

I found it a bit touchy with the dome on. What kind of seed mix do you have? If it holds good moisture I would leave the dome off. The top will look dry, but poke a toothpick down in it and it will be still be moist. Keeping the top closer to dry will aleviate any fungus/mold from growing. The lids seem to breed it like wildfire.

PS Youre welcome!
Using a soilless mix that I was able to get locally:
Plantation Products Starting Mix (sphagnum peat, hort. vermiculite, perlite, wetting agent, lime for Ph)

When time to pot up, will be using:
Schultz Seed Starter Plus (same as above but with a timed release .07-.05-.04 plant food)

Will that be OK?

Sounds fine to me, should hold moisture well with wetting agents and peat. Leave the lid off. Do you have any empty cells? If so you can poke around in it to get an idea how the moisture holds.

Look at it as a wash rag. Put it in a sink of water and pull it up. Drips water, she's drenched. Now holding it by just the corners shake it a little. No drips but it's still soaked. Now wring it with some medium oomph! It's moist, that's good. Now wrench down, it's barely damp. You want it between moist and barely damp, never soaked or drenched. If you get it too wet alls not lost. Hit it hard with the fan and dry it out. Not just the top, let it really dry out. Then get it moist an you will be good. I think you can understand what I mean.....

When time to pot up, will be using:
Schultz Seed Starter Plus (same as above but with a timed release .07-.05-.04 plant food)

Will that be OK?

I'd probably move away from Seed Starter when you pot up Padre. Look for a planting MIX (not SOIL) instead.

Good luck on your first grow! :)

I'd probably move away from Seed Starter when you pot up Padre. Look for a planting MIX (not SOIL) instead.

Good luck on your first grow! :)
If by potting up you mean their permanent home, yes, listen to ^. If you are putting in say 3.5in pots just temporary, that slow release mix will work....for now. Best results will be with mix, agreed :dance:

If by potting up you mean their permanent home, yes, listen to ^. If you are putting in say 3.5in pots just temporary, that slow release mix will work....for now. Best results will be with mix, agreed :dance:
Sorry, I meant potting up to 3x3x3 pots until hardening off and then garden transplant.

So, it sound as though I could use the same seed starting mix as I have them in now (Plantation Products) and not bother with the one with the timed release fertilizer.
Or, perhaps I could mix the two starting mixes about 50/50 (the Plantation Products and the Schultz one with the timed release fertilizer).

Both are seed starting mixes - not Soil. (same sphagnum peat/vermiculite/perlite/wetting agent/lime mixture and one has the timed release plant food.)

Not familiar with that mix, it may work but I'd only do it in a pinch. Seed starter will be a lot finer without anything for roots to grab onto. That's the problem I see with it. Your plants will be easy to fall over in the soft mix. I would get some potting mix. You can experiment on your next germination round with the two different seed starter mixes.

Not familiar with that mix, it may work but I'd only do it in a pinch. Seed starter will be a lot finer without anything for roots to grab onto. That's the problem I see with it. Your plants will be easy to fall over in the soft mix. I would get some potting mix. You can experiment on your next germination round with the two different seed starter mixes.

Woody, thanks for the tips. I'm really close in growth stages and moisture issues with the Padre. About 40% germination overall. :woohoo:

Jeff in NC

Back