• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Another "Diagnos Me" Thread

I'm growing some cayenne in raised bed with a mixture of FF Ocean Forest/EWC/Growstones/coco coir with about 30% aeration.

I have been using Chilli Focus fertilizer at half strength until I saw buds, then started full strength. I noticed distorted/wrinkly leaves, so I upped my calmag.

My leaves (old growth) have been exhibiting some drying/browning spots and occasional yellowed tips. Even some reaper seedlings have begun showing this. I haven't been very careful about adding nutes to the base only, and tend to shower the whole plant when feeding.

Is this nutrient burn (foliar induced or otherwise)? Nitrogen deficiency?
d08cacff9cb5d24d556ef9ce35680d20.jpg
c7497b2f5f006423a4b297c4cd2a7efe.jpg
c5455e213fc42574856327b19da76ae2.jpg
b2ef7c2dd9a011af569d0a65ca93c905.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

OK, I was born and raised in Eastern Nebraska.  Why on earth would you spend so much money to create a raised bed, when you have soil that is full of tilth?  I would give almost anything to have my Nebraska soil where I live.  Ugh...

That being said, why are you dosing Cal-Mag in a raised bed?  Do you actually know if you have a need for it?  Have you ever tested your raised bed? (EC)

Those plants look overfertilized to me.  (build-up of mineral salts)

Why are you feeding like this? As in, how did you arrive at your feeding schedule?

solid7 said:
OK, I was born and raised in Eastern Nebraska.  Why on earth would you spend so much money to create a raised bed, when you have soil that is full of tilth?  I would give almost anything to have my Nebraska soil where I live.  Ugh...

That being said, why are you dosing Cal-Mag in a raised bed?  Do you actually know if you have a need for it?  Have you ever tested your raised bed? (EC)

Why are you feeding like this? As in, how did you arrive at your feeding schedule?
solid7 said:

Hah. Yes, the soil here is indeed fantastic. Unfortunately the gentleman who owned the property before me was a gearhead and was fond of dumping chemicals, trash, bits of steel and various other things in the lawn. That was just one factor among many leading up to my decision to implement a raised bed. However I'll gladly sell you some of my soil, and maybe a bridge if you're interested :).

Concerning the nutrients: I grew indoors for a long while in both soil and hydroponics. My soil peppers loved Chilli Focus but began to exhibit dramatic foliage distortion which I narrowed down to a calcium deficiency. This is actually a common side effect of such a deficiency. See below for my before and after calcium treatment of a similarly affected chilli plant. As you can see I could no longer fit in my tent :D

Using the same feeding schedules (though on different varieties) with the same nutes, I presumed this to also be a calcium deficiency. I'll maybe try flushing them with clean water and see if the problem improves.
b05d6c45ab09e7b85efbca23780345d2.jpg
598fd1663a61724b365c7559eca7b442.jpg
0803f5e682122bdfd8eddbae696cb676.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

OK, fair enough on the raised bed.  Glad you have a good reason, because that's a fair penny you spent to make that garden happen.
Did you know that overdosing nutrients also looks very similar to that? 
There is somebody else who has a very similar problem to this in another thread, and I pointed them down the path of overfeeding.  Not sure if their results have turned around.  But theirs was a container.  You may experience problems trying to flush a raise bed. (with compaction)
Indoor conditions often produce better results, due to more controlled and consistent conditions.  You may find in that case, that your feeding can be a little more aggressive, due to more rapid growth. (plants indoors can grow faster due to not hardening off like outdoor plants)  However, for outdoor growing, a feeding regimen like that is a lot of work, and maybe not all that beneficial. (especially if it leads to overfeeding - have you done an EC check from a slurry test?)  For raised beds, a slow release is often the better route.   Even better, is a good slow release, with a liquid supplement. (like Alaska Fish)  Much much harder to overfeed.

Back