• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Another Dumb Question

Im Pretty New to learning that There is different varieties of One Pepper, Like I just noticed there is Not just Habaneros but there Is Sub Categories like White Habanero, Chocolate, Red Orange and Who Knows maybe Purple, but My question is "Do They all Have Different Tastes and Heat Levels?

I Never Came around any other than The Orange Habaneros and I Must Say they are Delicious but if Other Ones have different Taste Im in a Search Now!!

Yes, they are all different oroz. The different breeds of the same pepper are actually sometimes cultivated by agriculturists that make a living out of creating new types of peppers from the same strain. Take the orange habanero for instance, it has species that are naturally different in heat just because of the region it originated in. That does not necessarily make it a different pepper but the heat range and flavors can vary just like and vegetable that is cultivated in different regions. And then you have a cultivar like the red savina habanero which is a cross breed that was created to be larger and hotter than it's species of origin. This applies to all of the chiles under the sun. And there are many!

Believe Me I Wont, and Will Look foward too, and thanks for the Info Dannyboy Its Crazy how they can manipulate nature but in our favor I guess. I Learn Something Everyday. =]

I find that color seems to have the biggest correlation to taste, particularly in chinense strains. Yellow pods have a fruity flavor whereas brown ones have an earthy taste. Of course, they all still have differences so be sure to keep tasting new pods!

As Soon as I Can Get Different Ones I will, My Local Grocery Store Only Carries the Most Basic Stuff, I Was Amazed to Find a Manzano Pepper in there, I was so Lost To what it was but now have the seeds and 1 of em Sprouted =] Unfortunatelly I Totally forgot about the Pepper and it got lost before I ate it, Now I have to wait till mine Gives me some Fruit, too lazy to go get more besides its fun growing stuff

Hey there Orozconleche - Interestingly, and as I'd mentioned in another topic recently, even habs of the same variety can have different heat levels and flavor depending on where they're grown, the type of soil, how much/little the plant is stressed, fertilized, light intensity, etc. Environmental factors play a huge part in how a plant's fruit develops. You know how sometimes you get an orange and it's got a really thick rind or thin rind? That's due to the plant adjusting to that environmental impact to sustain its fruit. Same has to be true for habaneros and other types of peppers. I've read about the strongest peppers being "stressed" to produce intense amounts of capsaicin. That's an example of environmental conditions affecting the pepper fruit right there. Heat levels aren't the only thing impacted - flavor changes too. The flesh could be thicker or thinner, etc.

As for the Manzano, I love that pepper - it's delicious and adds a great flavor to the sauces I've made with it. My problem with it is that it's like $4.00+/lb so no way I can use it in a commercial recipe.

Wish I had more room to grow peppers - I've only got about a 14X30 space - it used to have an 80' douglas fir over it so nothing would grow in that space (fir needles and all pines have natural herbicides in 'em) but now that big bastard is finally gone and this year I'm going to have my 1st pepper garden. :dance:

Ps - there's no such thing as a dumb question, only a dumb answer.
:cheers:

Yes, they are all different oroz. The different breeds of the same pepper are actually sometimes cultivated by agriculturists that make a living out of creating new types of peppers from the same strain. Take the orange habanero for instance, it has species that are naturally different in heat just because of the region it originated in. That does not necessarily make it a different pepper but the heat range and flavors can vary just like and vegetable that is cultivated in different regions. And then you have a cultivar like the red savina habanero which is a cross breed that was created to be larger and hotter than it's species of origin. This applies to all of the chiles under the sun. And there are many!

I shoulda read this before posting - would have saved me some keystrokes. haha

Amazing. I only thought there were the orange ones as well until I came here. The orange makes such a nice jelly. Do the other strains make good jelly as well? Not sure how chocolate jelly would look though lol.

Habs go well in cornbread too. Very interesting.

Just be careful, if you've only had orange habs its one of the mildest. You get a hold of the right red or chocolate variety and it can light you up if your not ready! Have fun exploring! Good peppers are hard to find right now, but keep an eye out at any local farmers markets and you can score some good stuff from time to time. Also try a "whole" foods or organic type store or an asian or latin specialty market they generally offer some really good produce/pepper selections. Also, you may be able to find some different habanero varieties when the nurseries start putting out their seedlings, but often they only offer orange habs. Hopefully you can sample a few and then before long harvest your own...those are always best.

Yea I'm learning so much right now, reading this post made my mouth water like crazy =O..... lol and Jelly you saw never heard of such thing, I hope I can get a receipe and if the orange is mild...I'm in for a hot adventure and my manzano pepper is doing better than the rest so I'm hoping to taste it soon either summer or fall ^_^

Back