• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

Another Great Weekend in the 13th Century

We had another great weekend at the Kentucky Renaissance Festival.  Its not that we are rolling in money, but we did OK and had a great time.  It is hard to describe to folk who dont do something similar.  I built the shop about 13 years ago, before their first season.  It is thirty foot by thirty foot with a fairly large back room.  You get done with work and unfold the cots.  I sleep in the front room where there is lots of breeze.  The windows are large enough that it almost feels like you are out doors.

Sever other merchants, performers, and cast just sort of walk around the grounds after show to see who is still awake.  If you have pizza or left overs from dinner, you tend to offer / share.  If they have a cooler with some biers, they often share.  Folk tell stories about their day, folk compare notes.  There is this great feeling of comradery..

I worked as a fry cook at a renaissance faire outside of chicago for a summer during my gothic vampire phase.  Mostly I did tempura batter vegetables, chicken skewers and funnel cakes.  It was volcano hot in August but we had a lot of fun.  The people who worked the faire were good natured fun loving folk for the most part and the nights after the faire closed were memorable; bonfires and beers and stories of the day or years past.  The blacksmith and the falconer were my favorites.    

SmokenFire said:
I worked as a fry cook at a renaissance faire outside of chicago for a summer during my gothic vampire phase.  Mostly I did tempura batter vegetables, chicken skewers and funnel cakes.  It was volcano hot in August but we had a lot of fun.  The people who worked the faire were good natured fun loving folk for the most part and the nights after the faire closed were memorable; bonfires and beers and stories of the day or years past.  The blacksmith and the falconer were my favorites.    

I am glad someone else here knows first hand what I mean about the people. It is so hard to put into words.  When there is a good weekend, it is good for everyone.  When it is not such a good weekend, its not so good for everyone.  It winds up forming some kind of bond. 

I managed to get on the official photo page this weekend.  Not for forging.  For taking a break outside the front of the building with my new baby duck.  Just me sitting there holding her.  It was Viking Weekend, so my beard and hair was braided, but I wasn't posing or doing much different.  Just frigging exhausted from forging and talking to people.  The second part being hard for me.  So needed a mental health break with a duck and somehow the guy got my picture without me ever knowing he was doing it.

https://checkmatephotos.smugmug.com/Renaissance-Festivals/Kentucky-Highland-Renaissance-Festival-KYRF/2018/Weekend-4-Viking-Weekend/i-rVFMnj7/A

When I was younger I did competitive Irish dance (kilt and all) and quite a few competitions were at renaissance fairs. It was a lot of fun. At least I fit in walking around in my kilt.

SmokenFire said:

Once when I was a kid on the farm.

I had to reach elbow deep into a cow and pull out her birthing calf.

Having said that....

Vampire Renaissance Fry Cook.

I can't beat that.

Best Resume Ever!

I had an Arthurian legend class in college that was pretty cool. The prof invited a couple people to class one day - a guy dressed in chain mail and carrying a battle ax and a mysterious woman dressed in a cloak. They were way into it - especially when the Viking slammed his ax handle to the floor and screamed a war cry. I jumped. 

Back