• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

hybrid Another Idiotically Hot Chocolate pod!!! Chocolate barrackpore cross

Thanks to Mike Christensen for these ridiculous pods!

Seeds were taken from a Chocolate 7-pot Barrackpore, but grew out differently. It`s thought to be a cross between a Chocolate 7-pot Barrackpore and Brown Moruga, both insanely hot pods. Seeds were from Jack Chapman.

The initial aroma was very strong and aromatic. Fairly typical for a Chocolate superhot pod. 

The flavor was full of aromatics, a touch of bitterness, slight tobacco notes and deep earthiness. Surprisingly, the flavor then gave way to a fresh undercurrent of green grass or green apple. It had no sweetness, nor much acidity, but was pretty good for a chocolate super. Not long before the flavor disappeared there was a pronounced ginger-type flavour.

The heat was right upfront and very hot, but took a while to escalate to stupid levels.The flavors were clear and lasting until the heat scrubbed my tongue. The heat was both very hot and extremely painful, very reminiscent of the red 7-pot barrackpore. It was primarily a mouth burn, although there was some in the back of the throat, too. This is another nasty, painful pod, but one with lots of potential given the mix of good flavors inherent in the pepper. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEqtV-Im3AQ&feature=youtu.be

Nice review and nice recovery. I was sitting on the edge of my seat here eating fritos and habanero salsa cheering you on. Had me worried for a minute but you powered through it. I think I'll keep barrackpores and morugas off my list for awhile. If they can hurt the man with the stainless steel intestinal tract then I'm pretty sure my entire head would explode into cinders and ash at first bite.
You da man Nigel :dance:

Enjoyed it (from over here!), Nigel. That pod looked like pure hatred when you cut it open...How are your insides doing?

meinchoh said:
Enjoyed it (from over here!), Nigel. That pod looked like pure hatred when you cut it open...How are your insides doing?
They were not happy for about 2-3 hours. That thing put a hurt on my stomach from 5 minutes in to almost 3 hours later. Cramps, too, but not too bad. Not fun, but it could have been a lot worse!

I hate these kinds of peppers; they are my Pandora’s Box if you will. All the interesting flavors you mention say I must try. But in order to experience such flavors I must die! What to do, what to do, what to do.

I too have found a huge difference in pain vs. just really hot, glad you mentioned it here. Great review Nigel. 

thanks again my friend.  It looked like my pod didn;t kill you too bad!  That green flavor i think comes from it being so unstable.  Good flavor though!  Nice job on it Nigel.

PepperLover said:
Very Very nice 
if you want seeds let me know.

Good review Nigel, I just don't know how you do it with some of the super hots and eating them whole at that.
I really hate it when i run into a pepper that adds pain to the equation.  Both the Barrackpore, and Moruga's can do that at times, bad enough that they are just crazy hot and then they make your mouth hurt so much that you feel like your tongue is swelling up and just hurts like mad.

Back