• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Another newbee question

I thought I read peppers or good green or red. How soon do I need to pick(pepper is almost full red) ,does full color change make hotter or change flavor

Peppers will change flavor based on how ripe they are, so yes, waiting for it to full change will change the flavor vs. picking it right now

Yes, the flavours will change... different peppers do different things, and everyone has their preferences.

Generally (like a fruit) the riper, the sweeter or fuller the flavour. Some people say that the heat also increases with ripeness, others say that heat peaks when the pepper first ripens. I have a friend how swears up and down that his Scotch Bonnets are at peak heat when the pod reaches full size, but hasn't started ripening yet.

I haven't really experimented with the heat levels, but like the flavour of a ripe pod.

You can also pick them when they start to ripen and they will usually finish ripening on their own on your kitchen counter within a day or so..... For instance, I pick my red chilis when the tip turns red and the rest of the pepper is almost black. This will also encourage your plants to keep producing. Good luck with the grow!

And yes, peppers are good green or red, as long as they're full size. Picking them before they reach their mature size will leave you with milder, blander peppers

Back