• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

chinense Another Nice Scotch Bonnet Pepper from Trenton Farmer's Market!

It was around this time of the year, 20 years ago, when I went to the Trenton Farmer's Market and picked up some beautiful yellow scotch bonnets. I saved seeds, grew them out the next year, reviewed them on GardenWeb, and distributed seeds as Scotch Bonnet, TFM. It became like the telephone game with TFM eventually becoming "trueform" and a few other possibilities in some circles. Here's the review I did on them back in 2005 (the first season I grew them out) on the GardenWeb hot pepper forum:

"Scotch Bonnet, Yellow, TFM-the TFM in the name comes from the fact that I got these at the Trenton Farm Market in Trenton, NJ. I got these before I had met AB and believed these to be the true morphology. I am going to grow these side by side with AB's next year to see how they compare with heat, growth habit and flavor, as they seem very similar. I am wondering if he and I have variations of the same plant. My plant was stunted during transplant and ended up tall but rather bushy, with large pods that have high but not exceptional heat and awesome flavor. Very fruity and have a quality about them I have not seen in other chinenses, it's almost as if the balance of nutty, fruity and smoky is so exact it morphs and fights for position on your taste buds. I'm glad I stumbled across these and will grow them out to distribute seed next year. Pendant pods with scotch bonnet morphology ripen to yellow. Very long season (I'd say 140-150 days) The bite of the heat almost seems like there is another form of capsaicin in there beside the one that is normally in chinenses. My prize seed."

Last week I took a ride up to Trenton Farmer's Market to get some vegetables, and came across some peppers labeled as Red Scotch Bonnets. I've seen a variety of fruit labeled as scotch bonnets but not all of them have those fruity, sweet qualities that make them special. This turned out to be a really, really nice pod. Thin-walled but fruity, sweet, and hot but not extreme. They are large chinenses, especially relative to Caribbean red habaneros or Red Scotch Bonnets (as exemplified by the red scotch bonnets from tomatogrowers.com). I am saving seed from these and will grow them out next year to see how they do. In the meantime, here are some pics. Especially now that I'm more experienced, I'm really careful about renaming what may be an existing pepper, this might be an Antillais Caribbean or something similar grown under optimal conditions, although my Antillais Caribbeans are very healthy, are not this large, and more wrinkled. Therefore, I haven't named it yet, but I'm thinking about something along the lines of SB Red TFM UNK (UNK = unknown). I'll think that one through and will update everyone in the future! Here are pics of these beauties. I made a pepper jelly with them and people loved it.

20240725_141518.jpg
20240725_141646.jpg

Well... to me they look like habs... I would never call them a scotch bonnet..
Maybe call it a TFM red habanero? 🤔

They could very easily be SB Faria - I've grown them before and they looked exactly like those in the OP.
Whether Faria is a SB is debatable - in terms of its pheno but the flavour and heat are indiscernible.

They're actually very nice ones. Did you already taste them?

@MarcV @alkhall @RobStar @Marturo I just kept the label that it came with, I didn't want to go tinkering with it to respect the seller. Now you guys bring up a really good point, which is something that I've contemplated over the years but maybe now's a good time to bring it up again and chat about it.

It seems like the term scotch bonnet both refers specifically to the special yellow chinense with the tam o'shanter-on-a-head morphology, and yet also refers broadly to landrace peppers (of different colors and morphologies) from Jamaica. Years ago we had a lot of debate about the yellow one and chased the one with the most accurate morphology, but it's also noteworthy that there are red scotch bonnets, chocolate scotch bonnets, and even orange (not yellow) scotch bonnets that don't have the same morphology as the yellow. In fact it seems like any red pepper that has the same morphology as the scotch bonnet is a mushroom pepper (an anuum). I've grown red and chocolate scotch bonnets (chinense) over the years and never had one that matched the tam-o'shanter shape.

So am I misunderstanding this? Seems like the only scotch bonnet pepper that is a chinense and truly has that sweet, hot aroma and cool shape that makes them special is the yellow one, and the others, while they have a special sweetness and flavor, just fall under the scotch bonnet/bonney pepper umbrella because of their Jamaican lineage and don't share the same morphology.

Thoughts?

Here's a pic below of scotch bonnet peppers in a Caribbean marketplace (Wikipedia):

HotPeppersinMarket.jpg

To be honest, almost none of the scotch bonnets I'm growing looks like a "proper" scotch bonnet but more like the ones on that wikipedia picture. I think the proof should be in the taste. I grew habaneros once, having never tasted them before, and taste was to me a huge disappointment. Never grew them again. Then I tried scotch bonnets. I was afraid they'd taste like habaneros but to my surprise they did not and I actually liked them. I've grown scotch bonnets ever since an am currently in the process of finding out which variety/selection I like most.

But from the looks of it, the fruit shown in the original post looks like a perfect habanero to me...

@MarcV @alkhall @RobStar @Marturo I just kept the label that it came with, I didn't want to go tinkering with it to respect the seller. Now you guys bring up a really good point, which is something that I've contemplated over the years but maybe now's a good time to bring it up again and chat about it.

It seems like the term scotch bonnet both refers specifically to the special yellow chinense with the tam o'shanter-on-a-head morphology, and yet also refers broadly to landrace peppers (of different colors and morphologies) from Jamaica. Years ago we had a lot of debate about the yellow one and chased the one with the most accurate morphology, but it's also noteworthy that there are red scotch bonnets, chocolate scotch bonnets, and even orange (not yellow) scotch bonnets that don't have the same morphology as the yellow. In fact it seems like any red pepper that has the same morphology as the scotch bonnet is a mushroom pepper (an anuum). I've grown red and chocolate scotch bonnets (chinense) over the years and never had one that matched the tam-o'shanter shape.

So am I misunderstanding this? Seems like the only scotch bonnet pepper that is a chinense and truly has that sweet, hot aroma and cool shape that makes them special is the yellow one, and the others, while they have a special sweetness and flavor, just fall under the scotch bonnet/bonney pepper umbrella because of their Jamaican lineage and don't share the same morphology.

Thoughts?

Here's a pic below of scotch bonnet peppers in a Caribbean marketplace (Wikipedia):

HotPeppersinMarket.jpg
The whole new world of Scotch Bonnets can be confusing. The Scotch Bonnet I grow & love is very much like the classic SB in color heat & flavor. What all has been added to the SB family & why? I am growing the Aji Chombo a tropical pepper this season that truly rivals the MOA bonnet I am growing, smell like bubble gum the wife says. It is in the very least a sweet fruity, very hot on one plant & about like a bonnet on another a very good pepper. Check out the shape & color could it could be called another Bonnet variant. :think:

1722883234403.png

@Marturo forgive me ahead of time. My wife yells at me for good reason when I geek out about something, but sometimes....can....not...resist..... :D

So even if we factor out what has been added in, say, the past 15-20 years, those old landrace peppers from Jamaica that were there through the generations were collectively called scotch bonnets (aka bonney peppers), and the ones that weren't yellow didn't have the same shape. I think it's also worth mentioning that there are peppers from other islands that are similar in morphology and taste to the scotch bonnets, both the true (yellow) ones and the red, chocolate, etc. The Bahamian Goat comes to mind, a pepper that I've never grown but have seen photos of it and it has the same morphology as the yellow scotch bonnet, and supposedly the same great taste.

Now there are aberrant exceptions, IIRC over the years I've seen pics of both a single red chinense and a single chocolate chinense that had the same shape as the yellow, but those never seem to have been stabilized in any way, and while they popped up as a random genetic mutation, it still stands that many peppers (chinenses that were red, chocolate, etc.) that didn't have the cool shape of the yellow were still embraced as scotch bonnet peppers by Jamaicans over the generations.

BTW, the Aji Chombo is on my definite grow list next year, as is the Bahamian Goat. I agree with you regarding the shape, but I more look forward to tasting it and experiencing that special SB fruitiness (which it sounds like it has based on your post).

Last edited:
To be honest, almost none of the scotch bonnets I'm growing looks like a "proper" scotch bonnet but more like the ones on that wikipedia picture. I think the proof should be in the taste. I grew habaneros once, having never tasted them before, and taste was to me a huge disappointment. Never grew them again. Then I tried scotch bonnets. I was afraid they'd taste like habaneros but to my surprise they did not and I actually liked them. I've grown scotch bonnets ever since an am currently in the process of finding out which variety/selection I like most.

But from the looks of it, the fruit shown in the original post looks like a perfect habanero to me...

@MarcV I somehow missed this post before answering Marturo. Yes I agree, if we were to remove pod morphology from the equation, scotch bonnets generally rank above habaneros for that nice fruitiness. I will say that years ago I got a yellow habanero from Beth Boyd that was very special, it tasted more like a scotch bonnet but smokier and just good. I've also tried some red habaneros over the years that were nice. Caribbean Red Habaneros are a good example of this. Hot as hell but soooo good. I wonder if the lines blur with examples like that one and also with the Antillais Caribbean Habanero. Those two really taste more like scotch bonnets to me. That's like the pepper that's the topic of this thread, it really tastes more like a scotch bonnet, despite looking just like an habanero.

Wut!? That's awesome. That aji chombo wants to be a scotch bonnet in the worst way! How are they tasting for ya?

These Pods are from the Baker Creek seed & are less hot than the @Downriver Aji Chombo. More like the heat of a Bonnet
both are fruity & smell great. I have not seen other pics of this pepper that looked like a bonnet, these are unique. Yes I am getting the seed
from these pods.

Back